Parties.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Parties.

Postby marthamaree » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:17 pm

I went to an annual Christmas party last night. It was awful but I didn't drink. I find parties long and hard work. People say mean things about each other and after about half an hour I want to shriek with boredom. I used drink in the past for something to do. I snuck away at around 930pm. :-)
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Parties.

Postby PaigeB » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:26 pm

Good for you! I get really irritated when people start to get slammed. That was me. Let's just say, I was all of their little drunken misbehaviors in one! I can only tolerate for so long. Luckily, being retired requires few drinking related parties. I am not sure if I possess enough compassion to Love that many wet drunks in one room. I much prefer my sober drunks! I am chairing a meeting Christmas evening at 8pm!

I am glad you got through it~ What tools did you use to get through? Like, did you bring your own car? And... it is the time of year when folks really need your experience strength and hope!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby marthamaree » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:09 pm

My tools. It was a street party. I carried around a dietcoke in a small glass so it could have contained anything. I ate too much chocolate but big whoop. I moved around a lot so when I sneaked home it wasn't obvious.
I have another party tonite but the host is a sober member of 30 years.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:34 pm

One thing is to have your own transportation so you can leave when you want.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:11 am

I, too, find such occasions incredibly difficult at times - almost everybody's drinking and I have a low tolerance for drunk-talk - pretty hysterical really, when I consider the fact that I used to be pretty amazing at it.
:lol:
I am, though, constantly amazed at the fact that, at such gatherings, the thought of drinking never once enters my head - that's the power of the A.A. programme. 10 years ago, the fact that this would be the case would have been inconceivable to me.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 am

Nothing like a room full of drunken idiots to remind of why I love this AA program of living sober so much!
I have a lot of Gratitude, even though maybe not so much humility in that. I guess I could add then the slogan: "'But for the Grace of God Go I."
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:49 am

I don't do them anymore and it might seem like I am snubbing the rest of them and I say so what. I do my job and then I go home everyday and so these parties aren't necessary for me to break bread with folks I'd rather not party with. I like my privacy and I use it to the fullest at work. I smile and joke and they know I am "odd" because I stay mostly to myself unless it is directly work related. I love to cut up and keep the room light with laughter and I've pulled way back over the years because I am different now and my job expectations are different.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:16 am

I also have very little patience with people who drink and talk rubbish, although like others have said I was a champion at it myself. I believe with age it gets easier to say no thanks to things we don’t want to attend, and not worry so much over what others think about us, or worry that we are missing out on some ‘fun.’ But if I do go the tricks marthamaree used work well, have a glass that looks like a drink, mingle so people know you came, when it becomes too much slip out by having your own way home.

The caption of this unknown fellow shows how we change with time -

Life's Goals 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Tosh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:01 am

marthamaree wrote:I went to an annual Christmas party last night. It was awful but I didn't drink. I find parties long and hard work. People say mean things about each other and after about half an hour I want to shriek with boredom. I used drink in the past for something to do. I snuck away at around 930pm. :-)

I've one on Thursday. Luckily enough there's food to start with, and I like food. Once it gets silly, I'm the same as yourself, I bade my farewells with some excuse about getting back for the dog.

And the brilliant thing is, the next day I know I'll wake up with no regrets, feeling refreshed, with money, no blood all over the bed, a dry bed, and I'll go for a run and make the most of the day.

:mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer