What does it mean to put principles before personalities?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

What does it mean to put principles before personalities?

Postby ThelonleyMango » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:40 am

I've heard my sponsor mentioning this phrase to other people, and i've asked him. He says, "You will find out once you find out".. and whomsoever I ask in the program, they ask me if i've asked my sponsor.
Does anyone know what it means to put principles before personalities? Can someone give me examples?
ThelonleyMango
Forums Enthusiast

Re: What does it mean to put principles before personalities

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:44 pm

It means several things. Eg don't put anyone on a pedestal (including yourself), focus on the message rather than the messenger, don't let your opinions about a person interfere with your opinions about what they're saying, etc. Tradition 12 links into Step 12, where we practice these principles in all our affairs.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby positrac » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:23 pm

^^^^Bingo^^^^ well said.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:15 am

It means to do the right thing regardless of how obnoxious other people are being.

In other words, for instance the principle of honesty. Even though everyone else around us may be lying we are compelled to be honest because our sobriety depends upon it.

How about the principle of admitting we were wrong. We have to go by that principle rather than allowing someone else to take the blame.

I'm sure other people can think of even better examples than these I have given!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Forums Old Timer

Postby marthamaree » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 am

For me it means keeping my eyes on the reason I am doing something and not getting side tracked. It works particularly at work. Sticking to our core values and not getting confused or diluted by opinions. I am 50 days sober and like this saying. I think it is about leaving my ego at the gate at work.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 am

There's some great stuff here.

I also think it means doing what's the right thing to do, regardless of other people, or what other people will think about me. I.E, the principle I'm acting on is more important than what any personality judges me for.

To thine self be true 'n' all that.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 am

marthamaree wrote:I am 50 days sober and like this saying.

Well done on the 50 days, Martha. =biggrin
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:47 am

Hello Mango. Behind each of steps, traditions and concepts are principles.
The Principle of 12th Tradition: The spiritual substance of anonymity is sacrifice. We try to give up our natural desires for personal distinction as A.A. members both among fellow alcoholics and before the general public. We are sure that humility, expressed by anonymity, is the greatest safeguard that Alcoholics Anonymous can ever have. (Principles Before Personalities)
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 pm

There is at least one principle for each step. If I think "I don't like So-and So..." that means there is something wrong with me and I need to change my focus from them to ME. I can use the principles to help me define the situation and also give me something to DO to help change my mind.

We had a good discussion on this last year in this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20869&hilit=steps+principles+Acceptance
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby marthamaree » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Well done on the 50 days, Martha. =biggrin[/quote]
Thank you and I just love and love the puddy tat!
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:35 pm

marthamaree wrote:Thank you and I just love and love the puddy tat!

The slightly confused and anxious looking cat is a metaphor for how I feel on the inside. :lol:

Well done on the 51 days.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:25 am

You do things for a totally altruistic purpose. Nothing in return. And when in service, you just do it and not broadcasting in every meeting how well you are performing that role. Being selfless totally opposite of our selfish self-centered alcoholic trait.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer