am I still sober if?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

am I still sober if?

Postby marthamaree » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Am I still sober if I take pain pills as directed? Am I still sober if I eat large amounts of chocolate? Am I still sober if I take a diet pill? How good do I have to be?
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Re: am I still sober if?

Postby D'oh » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Sweets played a big part of my early Sobriety. Helps with the cravings.

As for the Pain Pills, Are they prescribed for an ailment? Do you follow the prescription or over use?

Diet Pills, hum that could mean a lot of different things. The fact that you brought them up means something might not be right. Ask in your Meditation Time. The answer will show up if you are Honest, Open Minded, and Willing.

Congrats on still being Sober. Keep up with the 1 Day at a Time!
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 pm

You're still sober if you didn't consume alcohol. Why do you feel a need to question such matters?
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby marthamaree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:44 am

I dont know. I think I just want to be perfect. Like not drink coffee or eat sugar and get up at 4am and run for an hour and never procrastinate and have a perfectly tidy house and.. and... and.... :-)
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby marthamaree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:46 am

I love that it is "a simple program for complicated people"
Dont pick up a drink or an unprescibed drug for today.
Thanks.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby marthamaree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:52 am

As for the Pain Pills, Are they prescribed for an ailment? Do you follow the prescription or over use?

yes they are prescribed and no I have never gone even close to over use. Thanks.
marthamaree
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 am

marthamaree wrote:I dont know. I think I just want to be perfect. Like not drink coffee or eat sugar and get up at 4am and run for an hour and never procrastinate and have a perfectly tidy house and.. and... and.... :-)

I like that, there is a line in the book which says - “He is straining every nerve to make up for lost time.” It mainly refers to making money, but I have found and heard others say, that alcoholics suddenly want to follow what we believe is the proper lifestyle, after we sober up. Nothing wrong with that, but we are still suffering from the ‘perfectionism’ which affects many alcoholics, and so we tend to go overboard, in trying to do everything we think we didn’t do while drinking. We want to be perfect, but in fact just being ‘average’ would be fine.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby tomsteve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 am

a definition of perfect:
complete;finished.
i will be complete and finished when i die.
until then, just practicing
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Layne » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14 am

How good do I have to be?
This is a good question to ask your friend in the mirror. Hopefully your friend will be honest and compassionate with the reply. Listen to the answer with an open heart.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Perfectionism is extremely common among alcoholics (perhaps combined with codependency ). None of us are in danger of ever exceeding the status of human.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby positrac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:28 am

Just be careful on pain meds and other stuff that could mask good judgment.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:55 am

I am often wrong but I believe pain pills taken legitimately for legitimate pain present a very real RISK but they are not 'non-sobriety,' a potential trigger, not a relapse.

As for excessive coffee, chocolate etc., AA is not a holistic hippy organic anti-technology movement. If excessive coffee, or excessive chocolate, or excessive exercise etc., a one if your survival mechanisms, then you have not eradicated the underlying issues.

They are better than alcohol, they are better than lind altering drugs, but if you 'need' them in wats mon-alcoholics do not you probably have not resolved your issues you probably have simply swept them under the rug.

Just my 2 cents.
1Peter5:10
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 am

positrac wrote:Just be careful on pain meds and other stuff that could mask good judgment.

Let me clarify my point: I have known many people who are addicts and go to NA and drink and in the end go back to using drugs. So using pain meds responsibly and knowing when to put them away is good judgment.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Atchafalaya » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Well today is day 5 for me and yesterday I ate 20 pieces of fudge! I also have a really bad neck(stenosis) and have pain killers. But, I try to use heat and ice as much as possible. Don't want to do any MORE damage to my liver that's already been done. =biggrin
Atchafalaya
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 am

I became a bit of a "chocaholic" in my early sobriety. The body craves the sugars that it's accustomed to getting from alcohol. It got better as recovery progressed, and I basically weaned off the sugar.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Next

Return to For the Newcomer