At the end of my rope

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: At the end of my rope

Postby Dean C » Sun Jun 17, 2001 8:00 pm

Hi, Jules. Welcome to the forums. Even though you're in a small town, do you know who's going to the AA meetings? (Even if you do, do they seem like awful disgusting people? Probably not.)<P>Another thing to consider is, if you have progressed to the point described in your post, probably everyone else knows you have a drinking problem. Getting help wouldn't be seen as something to scoff at. It would be a healthy act.<P>I got sober when I was about the same age as you. I was the last person, of everyone I knew to recognize I had a problem.<P>When I got to AA there were many people I knew already there. When I began telling people I had stopped drinking, most of them said, "Great! Good for you! Whew! We were worried about you, Dean!"<P>I'm pretty sure we all know people who "look down on" those who don't drink, but, when you think about it, that attitude is downright silly.<P>You're welcome here. We're glad to have you. Please keep posting. I'm sure others will chime in here too and make you feel at home.
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby beginningagain7 » Mon Nov 19, 2001 10:23 am

You said that your mother was a recovering alcoholic she would be a good person to talk to and to find out why she decided to quit drinking. Both of you probably have same issues to deal with. Some resentments are problably there to. For me I had to let pride go and go to AA meetings. I also started in a small town and my parents where well known in the town. They were very supportive and said that I should go and even arrange someone in the AA group to take me.<P>If you want to guit drinking get humble and let pride go.<P>Let go and Let God,
Beginningagain4
John T.
beginningagain7
Forums Contributor

Postby hellers » Mon Nov 19, 2001 11:12 am

Jules I'm so glad to hear that you want to go to a meeting. I posted here a couple weeks ago before going to my first meeting because I just didn't want to live the way I'd been living anymore. <P>I was a binge drinker who towards the end was "binging" on a daily basis. I always blacked out. Always. And I always worried about what I had done, said, etc. I worried too about what I COULD do. All the time. Because I knew I was capable of anything. I could (and have) very easily put people's lives in danger or hurt someone.<P>I was very concerned about running into people I know at a meeting. However, I've found that people are at AA because they really want to stay sober and so that is the focus.<P>When I got to the meeting I actually felt myself exhaling this deep breath. I relaxed. I almost started to cry. I could realte to most everyone there. I hope you get to meeting.<P>Let us know how it goes. Best of luck.
hellers
Forums Newcomer

Return to For the Newcomer