help, please.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

help, please.

Postby Kyobi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't know what to do, i cant stop myself.

im not asking for sympathy i just want advice on what to do to stop drinking this crap.
Kyobi
Forums Newcomer

Re: help, please.

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 am

im not asking for sympathy

No you wont get that here. What you can expect is our experience and how we got out of that hole.

We usually recommend you visit a local AA meeting. Also grab the book Alcoholics anonymous and start reading it. You may also find a person who can help you understand the 3 common traits of alcoholism. The spiritual malady, the peculiar mental twist and the craving piece. There are some great workshops on Youtube that can help you understand the book. Also keep posting your questions.

Powerless and un-manageability are the concepts we need to understand and accept that that we are indeed that.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 am

help, please.
by Kyobi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:48 pm
I don't know what to do, i cant stop myself.

im not asking for sympathy i just want advice on what to do to stop drinking this crap.

Hi Kyobi and welcome to e-aa :D I can remember how desperately unhappy I was when I was still drinking so I can relate to your plea for help.

The first thing to do would be as Ava suggested- to find a meeting closest to you and to actually go that meeting. You need not be afraid or anything since all the people in that room once were where you are today so you will find only understanding and compassion there. I would suggest to just sit down and listen to the shares of the other members and try to find the similarities between the share of that member and your own drinking. If after the meeting you would like to speak to someone a bit more I would suggest approaching the person who is chairing the meeting for further assistance.

Just so you know you are not alone I'd like to share a little bit of information with you that I learned about why I was unable to stop drinking. It turned out it wasn't because I was a "bad person" or had "no discipline", no, I learned in the rooms that an alcoholic is someone who have a two-fold disease – firstly our bodies function different to the average person on the inside – in simple words, we are allergic to alcohol in that every drink we take create a reaction in our bodies that causes a “craving” for the same amount of liquor that we’ve just put into our body. So when I drank 1 glass of wine my body automatically – because of the allergy – already craved a glass of wine. When I had a second glass of wine my body automatically already craved two glasses of wine. This allergy is similar to lets say an allergy to peanuts with the difference that the physical symptom is to have more of what we’ve put in in equal amounts - rather than appear as a “breakout” or “rash” on the outer physical. The second part of the disease is called a “spiritual malady” or in simpler words “block of spirit”. So being unable to “control” my drinking was not because I didn’t want to, it was because I had an illness which the ordinary person (and myself at that time) did not know enough about.

I hope this help and wish you all the best. Please feel free to post further if we can be of more assistance to you and I'm really glad you reached out for help. You are worth so much more than what you currently feel like so please attend a meeting as soon as you can and take your life back. Have an awesome evening.

With Love and Light
Xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:25 am

Kyobi wrote:I don't know what to do, i cant stop myself.

What are you willing to do? First is the desire to stop, next is actual efforts be it detox, rehab, face 2 face meetings. What most likely won't work is seclusion thinking that if you stay out of sight and mind you can outwit the presence of the black cloud between your ears.

Can you slip? will you slip? depends on factors and those are on you and action, honesty and wiliness are some key points along with steps of AA which do come later once you become less foggy minded.

We all have had to do the work in order to get our lives back and so you have to do the same thing in order to find recovery.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby JohnDaniels » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:09 am

Kyobi wrote:I don't know what to do, i cant stop myself.

Kyobi,

You've made a very important step here.

I'd suggest going to a meeting. When they ask if anyone is there for their first time, stand and introduce yourself. Listen to the speakers and when they tell what it was like, what happened and what it's like today, try to find a person who reminds you of you and the kind of person you might like to be like or you just admire them. You'll be able to hear their honesty and wisdom. I'd suggest paying attention to the speakers who talk about the 12 Steps and how the 12 Steps work in their lives.
Because most speakers at AA meetings tell in a general way what it used to be like, what happened and what it's like today, talk to them after the meeting in more detail. Ask them if they have any free time to talk with you, maybe over coffee or a phone call. Be honest with them about the way you are feeling right then. See how it goes. You'll know if you ought to ask them to be your sponsor. A sponsor is one of the first important things in sobriety. Someone you can rely on anytime who will help you learn to apply the 12 Steps to your life to find the answers to life's pains.

Get 2 books at the meeting. The Big Book and The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. Start at the very first pages of those 2 books. Read them page by page clear through. If you have to stop, just stop and rest a while, then get right back into the books. I personally call them our Bible, our instructions for living sober.

Living sober is hard without the 12 Steps and support from a good Sponsor. A Sponsor ought to be reliable to meet with you and help you through the 12 Steps.

But hey, not everyone always does what they are supposed to do. If you don't find the answers at that meeting, then go to another meeting and keep looking until you find what you need. I don't know what your spiritual beliefs are so I won't go into that here and now. You will soon find the answers you are looking for to live sober and rid yourself of the mental obsession and the physical compulsion for alcohol. Imagine that, living sober and happy at the same time. :D Through the 12 Steps you will find a set of instructions that are designed just for folks like you and I. In the mean time, until you get a good sponsor, feel free to send me a private message or email if you need to talk more.

Can you stay sober for 24 hours? If not, how about 1 hour? If not, how about 1 minute? Then the next, then the next ...

You have made a very important step here in asking for help

Right now, you are the most important person to me on this message board
JohnDaniels
Trusted Servant

Postby Cristy99 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:34 pm

From JohnDaniels

Right now, you are the most important person to me on this message board

Me too John!!

KYOBE.....HOW ARE YOU???
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb