When to ask for a sponsor ?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

When to ask for a sponsor ?

Postby SJP-Potty » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:46 am

Hi all

I have been 2 weeks today off of alcohol and the same off of a mix of medication I do not need.

I have been to 3 meeting and so far I enjoy the meeting more so than anything I have done in years, safe feeling and also security to move forward.

How do I go about asking for a sponsor ?
SJP-Potty
Forums Newcomer

Re: When to ask for a sponsor ?

Postby clouds » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 am

Welcome!

Good question.

Look around for someone who has done the 12 steps because a sponsor will be your guide for doing the steps to recovery.

Get to a lot of meetings and listen to what the AA people are saying, get some phone numbers and contact people you can talk to easily and that have some answers for you about staying sober. Take a bit of time selecting a sonsor.
Its important to choose, if you are a woman, a woman sponsor, if a man, a man.
Other than that its really based on you feeling pretty confident that your sponsor will be able to show you how they did the 12 steps.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:11 am

Get to a lot of meetings and listen to what the AA people are saying...

Welcome here.

I agree listen to the members, but particularly to those who speak about the steps they took, and who you feel looks comfortable in their sobriety. Someone who uses AA meetings to complain about life, is someone to avoid.

Generally, any member would be happy if you approach and ask them to sponsor you, it's thought of as something which helps them as well, if by chance they have a good reason why they can't do it at this time, they will gracefully decline, and may suggest someone else. Each sponsor seems to have their own way of doing things, based mainly on doing it the way their sponsor did it with them. I am a believer in going pretty quickly, the faster we get rid of the obsession and urge the better chance we have.

Perhaps you will let us know how it's going, and ask any further questions here, we enjoy answering and it helps us as well, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby SJP-Potty » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:45 am

Thank you for this help, I am just so enjoying each day some are more tricky than other but the meeting I love.
I will do as suggested

Thanks again
SJP-Potty
Forums Newcomer

Postby tomsteve » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:49 am

good on ya for wanting a sponsor!
are you aware of what a sponsor is for?
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby SJP-Potty » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:30 am

A sponsor

This I presume is a person that will help you understand yourself and what has happened to get you to AA and a person to take you through the steps ??
SJP-Potty
Forums Newcomer

Postby Jojo2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:56 am

SJP-Potty wrote:A sponsor

This I presume is a person that will help you understand yourself and what has happened to get you to AA and a person to take you through the steps ??

Welcome to e-AA, SJP and congratulations on two weeks.

A Sponsor is a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous who is willing to share their experience, strength, and hope with another alcoholic as a way of service to help insure their own sobriety.

We provide an online Sponsor facility here at e-AA. This is an excellent way of bridging the gap between online and face to face until a newcomer becomes more established and oriented. The service is essentially provided by email, but some use telephone and Skype according to circumstances and personal preference.

The main function of our online sponsor facility is to help guide the new person towards the 12 Steps, and also, where appropriate to help guide the new person to face to face meetings and a f2f sponsor in their local AA community.

It sounds as though you are on track at f2f meetings to seek out someone who has what you want. This may take a little time and ( as in my case ) even necessitate travelling to different meetings, but is well worth the effort.

Meanwhile, if you would like an online sponsor to get you started, please complete the form here:

http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

This may run parallel to face to face support for as long as you need.

An excellent introduction on sponsorship, permanent or temporary, with questions and answers, is this pamphlet
from GSO :

Questions and Answers on Sponsorship:

http://aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf

Please let me know if you have questions or need further assistance.

http://e-aa.org/form_officer_contact.ph ... =12th-Step

Kind Regards

Jojo

Temporary Sponsor Committee
Jojo2
Forums Enthusiast

Postby SJP-Potty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi

Thank you for such a full response to my question, the support here is very enlightening

I am going to speak to my local contact in my group

I may look at the option of online sponsor to keep me going

Thank you
SJP-Potty
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Competent sponsors will help you see the 3 aspects of the disease, help you see the peculiar mental twist that precedes each relapse. At the end of page 43, help you be convinced whether you are an alcoholic or not. If so, the prospect should be determined to move forward so he/she could have a spiritual awakening.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer