Will I ever feel excited again?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Will I ever feel excited again?

Postby Littleone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Have been sober for 6 months. Don't miss the lows but really miss the highs. I don't feel excitement at all anymore. I used to get excited about anything that involved drinking. I have tried joining dance classes and making nice food etc. but nothing pumps me up. I am going in vacation next week and not looking forward to it at all because I won't be able to drink. Will I ever look forward to anything again the way I looked forward to drinking?
Littleone
Forums Newcomer

Re: Will I ever feel excited again?

Postby clouds » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:45 am

Welcome to e-AA. :)

First, congratulations on these months you have free from alcohol!

AA's primary purpose is to get sober and help others find sobriety through the 12 Steps.

For me the relief from hangovers and freedom from the awful constant dependency on alcohol gave me gratitude that carried me along as I began work on the steps with an AA sponsor. Also, as I was encouraged to get active in a home group I got to know a few other women who were newcomers and we bonded together and eother kept in touch by phone or met up daily. These became the focus of my life for the forst few years I was sober.

I'd say constant work on the steps, especially reading the book of AA and getting a spiritual life will keep you happy and contented if you are honest amd willing to keep trying. Also, reach out and help others who are new to AA, this can become the anecdote to boredom and complacency.

I really wish you continued contented sobriety, as the alternative is so devastating.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:30 am

Littleone wrote:Have been sober for 6 months. Don't miss the lows but really miss the highs. I don't feel excitement at all anymore. I used to get excited about anything that involved drinking. I have tried joining dance classes and making nice food etc. but nothing pumps me up. I am going in vacation next week and not looking forward to it at all because I won't be able to drink. Will I ever look forward to anything again the way I looked forward to drinking?

As mentioned congrats on 6 months of sobriety. Attending meetings and working the 12 Steps will assist in removing, awaking and changing your views of your drinking pasts.

What is happiness? and what is excitement? Only you can answer these two questions and look it up in the dictionary and see if it mentions drinking as part of those two questions. See you'll find excitement again and it might be staring you in the face as I post this and because of your fog and maybe false expectations you can see the excitement. As a reminder your drinking career just didn't ramp up and your sobriety life won't either as you have to grow and mature. I say this a lot to new members of AA: Get out of your way and let the miracle happen! Sobriety is not meant to be a suffering process for the life of us, and so relax and I think if you look at the day for the unknowns and put more positive memories of drink less events then I believe you can and will find a new relief. You can't force activities in your life and expect instant change and try stepping back and look at all of the good that has occurred since you sobered up and that should allow for some excitement.

:arrow: BTW why waste money on a vacation if you are going to feel sorry for yourself because you can't drink?? Maybe hold off until you can look at vacation as a real rest and relaxing period; just saying you are what you make it and we've all had our ups and downs and we have got to want more and think less possibly.

Have a great day.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:34 am

because I won't be able to drink.

Thats a sign of an alcoholic mind. The basic Text Alcoholics Anonymous talks about it. I still hear people in the rooms, being thirsty. Really sad. The first step in recovery is that, we need to realize that booze is not going to fix any of our life situation. Once we have that realization, we then apply the principle behind each step and live a decent life.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:01 am

Don't miss the lows but really miss the highs.

I used to feel this way, and I tried AA a few times over a period of thirty or so years. I heard people speaking who said their drinking got to the stage where it was no fun anymore, they drank just to get through each day. I said I still enjoyed it, and they said you will regret not stopping now, and as it got worse and worse and my drinking went from every evening, to starting at lunch time, and eventually mornings. No highs but one constant dulling of the seances, loss of jobs and friends. Yes some of us have to reach the stage where drinking is absolutely no fun anymore, it's like taking a medicine to get through the day.

I also believed the fun days were over, I did the steps of AA because it was a matter of life or death, they said I would find a new life, the book said 'happy joyous and free,' it took a while and some spiritual practice before I found out it was true.
Will I ever look forward to anything again the way I looked forward to drinking?

I am absolutely sure you will, I do all the things I used to and the laughter has returned. Not trying to beat you up but think of this, how many people actually look forward to drinking, in traffic at work look around and think if those people can't wait for work to finish so they can have their precious drinks. Only the alcoholics do that, the others are looking forward to seeing the kids, round of golf, gardening all sorts of things, alcoholics like us looking forward to spending money on something which is not good for us, makes us feel like crap the next morning, and all because it will give us a few hours free of worry and at peace. Well AA can do that as well, but not by sitting in meetings, by doing the work contained in the 12 steps, and expanding on the spiritual side of life.

There are people you may see at meetings who look the part of happy and contented, they are often the ones who speak about the steps, that's the type to ask for help. Please believe there is a solution which will have you laughing at the thought of drinking, why drink and spoil the peaceful contented life we have, we wouldn't think of doing that.

Please ask any questions here, and let us know how you are going, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby tomsteve » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:19 am

Littleone wrote:Have been sober for 6 months. Don't miss the lows but really miss the highs. I don't feel excitement at all anymore. I used to get excited about anything that involved drinking. I have tried joining dance classes and making nice food etc. but nothing pumps me up. I am going in vacation next week and not looking forward to it at all because I won't be able to drink. Will I ever look forward to anything again the way I looked forward to drinking?

sure ya will, IF ya change your mindset.
instead of looking what you can get out of a situation, how about lookin at what you can add to it?
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Mike O » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:13 am

Congratulations on your sober time thus far.

Steps > Spiritual development > Contentment.

Highs and lows will not be what it's about anymore...you'll see.
:)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:54 am

Hello littleone…….My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles Area alcoholic. I wish I could tell you that you will get excite about something again but that is up to you not me. What I can tell you is that I look forward to many things, things that others shy away from. I belong to a group that carries the message on the streets of LA’s Skid Row. I have been doing that for also 20 years and it hasn’t gotten old yet.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Duke » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Welcome Littleone. I can't tell you what your experience will be. I can tell you that in my time in the program, I've had more than one time when I've felt as you described. I've found that as soon as I get out of myself and focus on service I can do for others, I stop wondering about when I'll feel good again.

Good luck.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby sideout » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 am

Congrats on 6 months. That is a nice accomplishment. I would be excited about that. I only have 32 days.

I guess for me... I look forward to all the experiences in life, things I used to do or new experiences, sober.

I am going to see Eric Clapton in September. I look forward to seeing a concert without drinking. I think something I have never done in my life.
Exciting, to me.

I hope to grow more spiritually and look forward to being able help/give to others; be it friends, family or people I do not know.
Exciting, to me.

I do not know... I guess it depends on the person and from what they derive excitement from or how they define excitement.

I was sick and tried of myself and my life. I am enjoying myself and life much more these days.
I am excited about continuing the rest of my life (hopefully) and all it has to offer... sober.

Joe
sideout
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Littleone wrote:I have tried joining dance classes and making nice food etc. but nothing pumps me up. I am going in vacation next week and not looking forward to it at all because I won't be able to drink. Will I ever look forward to anything again the way I looked forward to drinking?

Once you overcome the obsession with drinking, then you can feel excitement about other things. But for as long as we're indulging old drinking memories, real or imagined, we're missing something.

If you had a regular companion that you vacationed with, then suddenly they weren't around any more, even after a few months you'd still be missing them rather than enjoying the new experiences you have without them playing a role. Quitting drinking is almost like going through a grieving process.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Littleone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm back from my vacation and must admit I felt sorry for myself a lot of the time. Guess I've got some real maturing and growing to do.
Littleone
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:33 am

It's good of you to keep in touch with us. In the posts above this most of us indicated it takes a little time, and most importantly it takes doing those steps. Please believe that life in sobriety keeps getting better and better as we go along. As you say you have some growing to do, and contentment in sober life is found through spiritual growth, keep plugging along you won't regret it, all the best to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi Littleone

Congratulations on 6 months of sobriety!

From what you've described--feeling down and unable to get excited or motivated to do anything--sounds like symptoms of depression and you should talk to your doctor about it ASAP. Depression is a medical issue. It's generally caused by a chemical imbalance and isn't related to emotional maturity or character defects. It might get better on it's own or it might get a lot worse. Better to err on the side of caution and begin dealing with it now.

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer