Need help returning to a sober life

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Need help returning to a sober life

Postby burkett1983 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:11 am

Good afternoon,

My name is Phillip. I need help getting back on the right track. I have known that I am an alcoholic since 2007 when I went to rehab for my drinking. I was sober for several years then I started to slip about every 6 months. I recently slipped this past weekend and caused alot of heartache for my family. I feel that I have turned into a dry drunk and I need help getting back on the right track. I have made an appointment with a counselor and am reaching out to the group that helped me so much in the first place. any suggestions for online meetings would be great. thank you so much.
burkett1983
Forums Newcomer

Re: Need help returning to a sober life

Postby Brock » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 am

Welcome here Phillip. We see a fair amount of letters like yours, and of course in meetings people speaking about slips is fairly common. Many of us myself included, were in and out of the program and had slips, before finding the contented sobriety the promises speak of.

I expect you have heard it many times before, but the answer is always in doing the steps, then living in the solution of 10, 11 & 12. For my money, the sort of continual spiritual development spoken of in # 11, is where the secret lies.

When we discuss slips here from time to time, it is usually agreed that these start in the mind, well before we actually pick up the drink, and it's something we have no defense against, without a firm spiritual footing. Our big book uses a lot of space in the first 164 to speak about this powerlessness, and gives examples like that of the car salesman mixing whiskey with milk, and Fred the accountant, he explains it by saying “it was the end of a perfect day,” then proceeds to land flat on his bottom, believing a couple drinks to celebrate would be OK. They had no defense without the required spiritual experience, and neither do you. And as the book says we are not looking to be saints, just to have a nice life pretty free of worry, and most of all never to have that urge to drink, the book says 'it does not exist for us,' because the problem has been removed.

There are other online meetings on this site, it's not something I engage in so can't give any details, but have no fear, someone will no doubt know more about them and will lead you in the right direction. Best of luck, and ask any questions here as you go along, or just keep us informed of your progress, it helps us to know and helps you to let us know.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am

Hello Phillip and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Glad you're back. online meeting help a lot but I found that there is more to AA that just meetings and not drinking. that may be all you can do in the start but I would hope you attend f2f meeting. things seem to go a lot smoother in my life when I stay in the middle of the flock.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby gailermels » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 am

Hi there, Phillip. Glad you're here! There are online meetings here at e-AA that you are welcome to attend. At the e-AA home page, there's a tab at the top titled "Let's Talk". When you select that tab, you'll see in the middle of the next page a section called "Chat Meetings and Virtual Fellowship Hall". Here you can find the daily meeting schedule and links provided for the meeting format and readings for the day. If you can't make it to a face-to-face meeting for whatever reason, these online meetings can be an excellent alternative. Hope to see you there!
Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. (Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 417)
gailermels
Forums Newcomer

Postby burkett1983 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Guys thank you so much for the information. I was able to pick up a meeting schedule today for my local area. The plan is to go to face to face meetings and use the online resources.
burkett1983
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:21 am

burkett1983 wrote:Guys thank you so much for the information. I was able to pick up a meeting schedule today for my local area. The plan is to go to face to face meetings and use the online resources.

Welcome and know that very few people ever just go to rehab and out of the box remain sober forever as life is a lot more than a 28 day rehab to correct the past. If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired then you are ready to surrender and get to living sober.

Took me 3 times to figure out I couldn't drink like others who did it responsibly. Just jump in and in time the learning will become an everyday part of life for you.

Be well
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby burkett1983 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am

Thank you guys I was able to get to a local meeting before work yesterday and I knew I was in the right place.
burkett1983
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 am

Great News! There is Hope for us alcoholics. Take the Steps for a long term solution!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 am

Hey Burkett, thanks for sharing up how you followed up after reaching out here. :D

Welcome to e-aa!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:25 am

Thank you guys I was able to get to a local meeting before work yesterday and I knew I was in the right place.

Hope you will find a good sponsor who will lead you to a permanent solution.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer