Facetime 5th Step

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Facetime 5th Step

Postby Cameron2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Have a great sponsor but he happens to be very busy. He missed two appointments for 5th step and now wants to do it on the phone via Facetime. Is this a good idea? Has it worked for other people? Thanks.
Cameron2
Forums Newcomer

Re: Facetime 5th Step

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:38 pm

should be fine as long as you both undertstand what we are trying to accomplish here and you are honest with the inventory.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Welcome to e-AA. I don't want to put you off, this is an important step that should be done as soon as possible, if it has to be Facetime then it will do for now. I wanted to use a priest at a church nearby when I did mine, but was put off because his time might be limited to an hour or so, the person I asked instead came to my home. It was early morning but he bought his own lunch, prepared to spend most of the day if need be. I was very well prepared with written inventory sheets and it didn't take quite as long as he expected, we spent a good two hours doing it however, it's not meant to be a quick thing.

The sponsor should look over work sheets and help make notes for an amends list, he should judge by your reaction in speaking about certain things if you may be holding back, and encourage you to open up further. All of this plus the time factor, weigh very much against the use of a phone. It's nice of you to say he's a great sponsor, but if someone doesn’t have time for things like this, and worse yet missed two appointments, he is a very lucky person to have you still calling him great.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Mike O » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:41 am

I see no problem with Facetime. My 5 was done via email. It's working so far.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:28 am

I think its good. The important thing is the person knows about the 5th step and allows you to say everything you need to. If you feel comfortable with this choice that is important, as you will be able to go through with it fearlessly and thouroughly.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Oliver » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:39 pm

No intrinsic problem with Skype etc, but you might want to re-check that this is the person you want if they've missed two appointments.

I am glad I did mine face-to-face. I think if I'd tried email or Skype I would have been tempted to be evasive. But that's just this alcoholic. The important thing is search and fearless.
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:28 am

Oliver wrote:... The important thing is search and fearless.

Absolutely, and I would add total honesty.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer