Big book

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Big book

Postby Alice Kay » Sun May 07, 2017 2:40 am

In see a lot of meetings that refer to ""The Big Book" and to "12 & 12" i see that there are online versions. However, I prefer a print version. How can I get those for cheap?

Is there a workbook; too?

Also, how do I get a sponsor?
Alice Kay
Forums Newcomer

Re: Big book

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:07 am

I get all my books through thriftbooks (dot) com. All you have to do is buy little over 10$, they ship for free.

As for as workbooks, I have seen few floating around. My sincere advice is, get one of those free workshops (audio) on the internet and have a highlighter with you and put on the speaker and start digesting the information. The chapters till "how it works" I will repeat several times and thoroughly understand the concept of powerlessness and un-manageability. Also, highlight the sentances that makes sense.

As far as sponsors are concerned, at your AA meetings you go to, watch for women sharing their experience strength and hope. Hear how they overcame the obsession. They usually mention about working the 12 steps and getting relief. I would stay away from people who just go to meetings and no enough working of the steps.

AA has guidelines what the role of the sponsor is, http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/aa-liter ... ponsorship. You may read this and understand and use to look for a sponsor.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Sun May 07, 2017 11:51 am

Alice Kay wrote:In see a lot of meetings that refer to ""The Big Book" and to "12 & 12" i see that there are online versions. However, I prefer a print version. How can I get those for cheap?

At my local meetings, the announcement about books is "our price, your terms".

The Big Book "Alcoholics Anonymous" has all the instructions needed to recover, as well as a lot of personal stories. 12&12 could be considered a supplemental IMO.

Go to meetings, keep going back, listen out for the other women who share. You could tag along with one or two to introduce you to the other meetings and their sober members. There's also a temp-sponsor program here at e-AA, you can check it out at http://e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby tomsteve » Sun May 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Alice Kay wrote:In see a lot of meetings that refer to ""The Big Book" and to "12 & 12" i see that there are online versions. However, I prefer a print version. How can I get those for cheap?

welcome,alice and good to read ya wanting!
good to read ya want print versions,too! many meetings have both the bb and 12/12 available for purchase with varying prices, but I think the link avaneesh mentioned- I don't think that price can be beat.

as far as workbooks, yeah, theres workbooks out there, but imo, it truly is a simple program and laid out pretty simply in the big book, which took me a little time to get that- I was way over complicating it. thought for sure something to help me stop drinking had to be much more complicated.

as far as finding a sponsor, first off theres a pamphlet titles,"questions and answers on sponsorship" which i suggest ya read. i think it can be found online to read.
then, finding a sponsor, i suggest pray for one to be shown, then go to meetings and listen. then approach someone that sound slike they have what you want, approach them and ask if they will sponsor ya. if they say they cant, ask them if they know someone available to do the service.
and keep comin back!
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun May 07, 2017 4:50 pm

The Big Book and 12x12 are online free here:

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/read-the- ... traditions

Or purchase from AA for very low price: https://b2c.aaws.org/default.aspx?lang=en
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Alice Kay and welcome.

Most AA meeting groups I've attended give both books to newcomers free of charge, but if the ones you attend don't, my experience is the same as others who have recommended Thrift Books. It has the lowest available prices for used books in really good condition.

The only "workbook" for the Steps per se that is AA conference approved literature is the BB and the 12 & 12.

I asked the women who 12 Stepped me to be my sponsor. She had 25 years of sobriety and was perfect for guiding me through the AA program.

Keep coming back......
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer