Introduction

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Introduction

Postby Ingressus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:24 am

Im Simon im fighting two battles drink and diabetes if i can only beat one i can beat the other, did it again last night, not only woke up with a hangover but ill with diabetes today im desperate.
Ingressus
Forums Newcomer

Re: Introduction

Postby Brock » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:01 am

HI Simon and welcome to e-AA.

There are two diabetics at my home group, when they speak they often say how drinking really exasperated the diabetic problems, drinking and diabetes don't mix. And for us alcoholics drinking and trying to lead a decent life doesn’t work either, diabetic or not.

The sort of desperation you feel we all know well, it's what bought us to AA, and we have found not only a complete release from the craving to drink, but also a new serenity and calmness in out lives, the program of AA does much more than remove the drink problem. But of course the first order of business is to quit drinking, which for an alcoholic is impossible to achieve on will power alone. I will attach a few links that you might read from, they contain parts of our main text, and a meeting finder among others.

Please ask any questions you may have here, we enjoy answering, and good luck.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:31 am

Hello Simon and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Besides being an alcoholic I also suffer from Type 2 diabetes. I treat my diabetes separately my alcoholism I use the AA program and fellowship to relieve me from my problem drinking and my diabetes I had to seek professional help or as most people call them a doctor. The Funny part is once I got a plan for treatment of the diabetes the principles of AA helps me follow that plan too.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 am

Hi Ingressus. Glad you found us on the huge www. I expect more people will be along soon to talk about alcoholism. I don't know anything about diabetes but I have separate medical issues that require me to see the doctor.

All I know is that my doctor has very little real understanding of alcoholism. The folks at the meeting helped me more in a couple hours than any paid professional did in all my years!

Check one out today. You can go to an Open meeting, one that is for any one, friends & family & alcoholics, if you are still unsure if you are an alcoholic.

You have already reached out here... keep coming back.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:45 am

The question is which one today is likely to kill you? If your sugar is so high you are seeing blurry then I'd highly suggest getting to the doctor and get a treatment plan that is aggressive to counter this high sugar. With this treatment you may need to go into a rehab facility and or Detox. Might not like this but something has to give and if it doesn't give then nature takes a more drastic course. Some things such as a stroke and that might be really serious because you lose some capabilities that you have some control over.

Tough love and or tough comments might not be to your liking, but it might save your life as I am diabetic Type II and it is manageable as is my alcoholism. So just because you give up the gin and juice that doesn't mean your sugar is going to drop as this is a total lifestyle change per what you are eating and not watching the carbs and sugars intake.

I hope you'll take some actions now and be honest and forthcoming to the doctors as they are only as good as we allow them to be. You can overcome both of these diseases and have some say in your quality of life.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:54 am

The big book talks about in order to win this battle (alcoholism) we need a spiritual solution (we agnostics). And when we overcome the spiritual malady we straighten out mentally and physically. You get the power to take care of the physical condition (diabetes).

If we don't get connected to our higher power, we will hit the blind spot like you did yesterday. We have no choice. Time and again, we will come up with some stupid excuse to justify a drink. Thats the insanity.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:50 am

avaneesh912 wrote:The big book talks about in order to win this battle (alcoholism) we need a spiritual solution (we agnostics). And when we overcome the spiritual malady we straighten out mentally and physically. You get the power to take care of the physical condition (diabetes).

If we don't get connected to our higher power, we will hit the blind spot like you did yesterday. We have no choice. Time and again, we will come up with some stupid excuse to justify a drink. Thats the insanity.

If they don't get the sugar under control they can die! I know as I was sober long before I almost lost my life to diabetes I never knew I had as I was losing my vision and I was at the door of a stroke. That is why I posted they way I did is to go after the one point which if corrected can be sustainable now and then work on the drinking because lifestyle habits no matter of a spiritual awaking can't correct years of poor eating for example.

I get it that this is an alcohol topic driven site. I hope they figure it out before they become a statistic.

They have to be ready to stop the insanity in order to get well.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer