Introduction

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Introduction

Postby Mizzou11 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:58 pm

I am Tom and I am an alcoholic. I have tried to get sober for the past 3 years with 3 different treatment facilities. I am on my 3rd go around. The first time I did not believe in the 12 steps and I stayed home after treatment. The second time I tried a little harder but only had one foot in. This time I left my wife and child to come to FL and get sober. I am 61 days sober, and working the program now. I will be going home around my 90 days but I am building a strong foundation for when I do go home to my wife and kid. I am thankful for this program, it has shown me the way.
Mizzou11
Forums Newcomer

Re: Introduction

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Welcome Tom. AA works if you want it. Hope you do the work with a sponsor.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Tom and and welcome to the e-aa forum.

Congratulations on 62 days sober!

My name is Mary and I'm an alcoholic too. I also struggled with trying to stay sober for several years after I knew my problem was alcohol and even after I knew AA had the solution to my problem. I just couldn't accept the idea that i could never go back to drinking like a lady again until my drinking almost killed me and I was forced to accept it. When I finally did get sober, I stayed sober by using AA's 24 hour plan. Instead of "quitting forever", I just didn't drink today, one day at a time. Early on in sobriety, whenever I got scared, angry, or anxious about the people, places and things in my life, I stayed sober an hour, a minute, or a heart beat at a time--whatever it took to stay away from that first drink. The One Day At A Time plan, ODAAT, worked really well for me. That, going to AA meetings, working the Steps and working with others has kept me safe, sane, and sober for quite a while now.

Glad you found the forum. Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:10 am

Welcome to the forum Mizzou11!. Hope you find a competent sponsor who would lead you thru the 12 steps and help have a spiritual awakening.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 am

Welcome Mizzou :D

Glad you found us!

I went to three meetings of AA a week for a long time, for years, and it really helped me to keep steady on with my focus on the 12 step program of recovery. I needed that focus, meetings and contact with other people doing AA gave me the chance to hear how they were doing their sober lives. So many times I get stuck in my own little problems and a meeting is where I hear how others are daily solving their life problems using the steps as guidlines.

Thanks for coming here and hope to hear a lot more from you!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 am

Hello Tom and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles Area Alcoholic. glad to help any way I can
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Return to For the Newcomer