Cross Addicted

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Cross Addicted

Postby tyg » Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 am

I don't crave or think of alcohol anymore but have Ben relapsing in and out of the rooms with opiates and speed (to stay awake).
For this reason maybe it would be worth getting a sponsor in NA/Pills Anonymous (or other) and work through the Steps and see if it helps overcome the denial on this. They may offer other good suggestions AA doesn't give. Doesn't mean you have to stop going to AA or convert.

AA's "singleness of purpose" has nothing to do with intolerance, and everything to do with self-preservation. Too many AA's get upset if it is suggested to investigate another fellowship for addictions other than alcohol. This may do a disservice to many because they won't get the help they need. AA is not a cure all. I had issues with another addiction and found that I needed another Fellowships help to overcome my denial around it. If you want to know more PM me.

So our Traditions (like the 5th) and literature is not meant to be "intolerant" of or, "exclude" anyone but to help a person find efficient recovery.

http://www.aa.org/newsletters/en_US/f-1 ... nter02.pdf
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/f-8_problemsothertha.pdf
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/P-35_Pro ... lcohol.pdf
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:54 am

For this reason maybe it would be worth getting a sponsor in NA/Pills Anonymous (or other) and work through the Steps and see if it helps overcome the denial on this. They may offer other good suggestions AA doesn't give. Doesn't mean you have to stop going to AA or convert.

So true. Why are we pretending to have a solution for everything. And in this case, something is not working, why not approach someone who has overcome this form of addiction. Its all about identification and applying the principles. I work with an alcoholic who has severe other addiction. I told him straight up he needs the help of people who have overcome that form of addiction and I can't help with him in that area. I have heard sponsors who claim the 12 steps could solve weight issues. No doubt OA uses the big book but there is something that goes on in the rooms that helps the over-eater that we can't. Fundamental difference in over eating and sex (in most cases) can't stay away from it.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed May 03, 2017 7:01 am

Why are we pretending to have a solution for everything.

I believe that solution for everything, is not just limited to people seeking help with drugs or weight loss etc. It's difficult to ask people not to speak about drugs, when some of those who are in the meetings for alcohol addiction, use the meeting for other 'life problems.' If someone is allowed to speak about their bad day, bad husband, sick pet whatever, who are we to tell another he can't speak about drugs. He in fact would at least be talking about an addiction, which is closer to our purpose, than those who come to complain about how life is treating them.

I have absolute sympathy for those who 'break down' in meetings and cry about personal problems, but it should be handled discreetly by the chair maybe saying we will speak about that after, or someone leading the person aside for a one on one. I have little time for those amateur psychologists, who instead turn the meeting into a forum where they can advise others on non alcohol matters. I have seen meetings go from an alcohol related topic, to how to fix a broken heart, broken marriage, medical problems, the works.

We have many venues in our fellowship, so folks can come in off the street, and for free find themselves among friendly and understanding people. Where I live some meetings have sandwiches, and those are the most popular. Fill your belly with food and coffee, you are an alcoholic if you say so, if you say nothing then we assume you are, if you complain about life we let that pass as well. Because some other person probably just stood up and said they were X years sober, but boo hoo hoo life is crappy - how can we turn around and tell somebody else they can't speak about drugs.

I write a hard line on these matters, but in practice I have sympathy for these types, and don't embarrass anyone in meetings, if I can help with some advise I do so afterward. I believe AA was not meant to be a support group, in the manner some members believe it is.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby SoberInMI » Wed May 03, 2017 9:26 am

I believe that once we have addressed our alcoholism what is left is working the steps and dealing with life on life's terms. AA has a "singleness of purpose" for a reason which goes largely ignored. But as someone else has reminded us recently in this forum in addition to myself, an alcoholic can best identify with another alcoholic, otherwise all 12 step meetings should combine and become Addictions Anonymous; even the drug addicts have programs specific to certain drugs. I don't mind a short excursion to mention drugs and other addictions, but any more than that I can't identify with and this just becomes selfish where the AA program requires that we stop being selfish and self-centered and become unselfish.
SoberInMI
Forums Enthusiast

Postby mini33 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 am

if you are an alcoholic you are an alcoholic does not matter what else you are like has been mentioned the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
mini33
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer