I really need help/advice please

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: I really need help/advice please

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:28 pm

positrac wrote:Is this a thread about AA or some side show political debate to undermined us into believing something else?

Looks like another newcomer thread that got hijacked....again.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Thu May 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Looks like another newcomer thread that got hijacked....again.

Three points, firstly the writer of the quote who questioned what happened to the thread, joined in the “new” topic after writing it. Secondly, the members here are generally very cautious in not derailing a newcomers question by changing the topic, and should be congratulated instead of criticized. And finally, when a new person posts a question forty seven days ago, and that is there one and only post, and received good feedback over a two day period, a change of subject at this time is not such a big deal.

I say save the criticism for when it is really deserved.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby mini33 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 pm

i think i understand where ur coming from although my story is a little bit different. i drank until i was 29 and finally hit rock bottom when i lost friends, my career and just could not function. i entered a rehab and for three years i stayed hopeful and sober with the support of AA. Sadly, despite being meds and having 4 years of T i was not improving.. i did not understand why. i saw everyone in AA getting well and despite working the steps i just seemed to be going in circles with my state of mind and recovery depressed ok, depressed ok round and round.

depressed, frustrated, restless, irritable and discontent, i then started to have floods of memories of doing horrible things to people, terrible memories left me suicidal. these believed with all my hear and put down to alcohol abuse ut in fact when i finally saw a Add to psychiatrist about two weeks ago it turned out i was having manic episodes and was bipolar. the memories which had tortured me along with voices were part of mania. but it was too late i had started drinking again. i could not stop i was back in the same stupid position before rehab but knowing now what was going on with me and why i was not getting well like others in AA, going round in circles despite my efforts.

yesterday i had a bad dream about alcohol, half asleep i fell down the stairs on my way to get on alcoholic drink the first of the day.

i could not walk and still can't so a meeting was out of the question. often they say in AA that everything happens for a reason i believe i was meant to fall down those stairs as crazy as it sounds to stop me getting any alcohol which it did (i cant move to get any and i am currently a day sober) not being able to get to meeting the first thing i did today was join this online forum, i am determined to get my serenity back.
mini33
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Fri May 05, 2017 1:26 am

Welcome mini! Glad you found us and it sounds like you are in the right place!
as crazy as it sounds to stop me getting any alcohol which it did

Not crazy at all - that is how life changing events can happen in sobriety... they just come!

One more "crazy thing?" Sometimes when we can't get to a meeting we are meant to just communicate with god.

I find my HP speaks to me A LOT through people - and like you I went looking for people online when a meeting was not available to me! I found this forum several years ago and have barely missed a day since then!

I hope you found what I have found in AA - Keep coming back! More folks should be along soon!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:19 am

depressed, frustrated, restless, irritable and discontent

That is what my state of mind every time I attempted to stop drinking. I become snappy. My road rage became out of control. This is exactly what the big book wants to illustrate with the Car Salesman story. The dude failed to enlarge is spiritual life. The store goes, he just made a beginning. He was irritable tuesday morning for working for a gig he once owned. With that mind set he goes into town for prospect for selling cars. He hits a Blind Spot. Rest is another trip to re-hab.

That is why internal un-manageability is very important. We need to overcome those boogy traps. And thats where inventory and more inventory helps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Fri May 05, 2017 4:56 am

avaneesh912 wrote:
depressed, frustrated, restless, irritable and discontent

That is what my state of mind every time I attempted to stop drinking. I become snappy. My road rage became out of control. This is exactly what the big book wants to illustrate with the Car Salesman story. The dude failed to enlarge is spiritual life. The store goes, he just made a beginning. He was irritable tuesday morning for working for a gig he once owned. With that mind set he goes into town for prospect for selling cars. He hits a Blind Spot. Rest is another trip to re-hab.

That is why internal un-manageability is very important. We need to overcome those boogy traps. And thats where inventory and more inventory helps.

Car salesman story is quite amusing at first then the horror of his actions hit home for me and it has stuck in my mind over the years.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Fri May 05, 2017 5:29 am

Welcome here mini. It may not be good news that you are bipolar, but as you said, it is good that a reason can be found which may account for some of the problems you were having in sobriety. The issue of depression is something discussed here from time to time, and our founder Bill suffered badly from this. Bipolar depression comes up as well, you will find one such discussion in this link -

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21258

Please ask any questions or post comments here if you wish, it gives us all pleasure to read about fellow alcoholics and see how they are doing, and of course to offer support and encouragement where we can, all the best to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby mini33 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:09 am

thank you for your advice I have posted on the dual diagnosis thread now. :)
mini33
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer