Trying to get better

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Trying to get better

Postby BruceWayne87 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:24 am

So I would usually have 7 bottles of 5.2% beer every night, probably more if round a friends or on some special occasion. Obviously too much. I've been drinking along these lines since I was 18yrs old, almost 12yrs later I've decided to change. Over the past month I've tried to only drink for 2 days a week but I'm not feeling better and find it hard. Can anyone help or help explain my experience? Thanks in advance...
BruceWayne87
Forums Newcomer

Re: Trying to get better

Postby Brock » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:47 am

Welcome here. The part that stood out to me was when you said you find it hard, most people don't, like my wife doesn’t even think about drinking except maybe when we are at a social outing and she may have a couple of beers. Me on the other hand used to think about drinking every night like yourself, I looked forward to it, then I started off at lunch time, I won't give the whole story but just say I sure wished I had stopped at that time, because it just gets worse and worse.

In AA we expect each person to sort of make up their own minds about how much of a problem they have, here's a link to a 12 question pamphlet - http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

Our main text is a book we call the 'Big Book,' you can read it by goggling 'AA Big Book,' it's long and confusing at first, try to read in the chapter 'There is a Solution,' around pages 20/21 you will see a description of different types of drinkers. Also the chapter called 'The Doctors Opinion' would be useful, in fact read as much as you feel like.

If you think your problem is out of control just goggle 'AA Meetings' followed by your city or town, and a list should come up, consider giving those meetings a visit, nothing to fear no commitment whatever, just some friendly folks who discuss alcoholism and where you will get answers. Also ask as many as you like here, we enjoy visits from newcomers, and wish you the very best.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:08 am

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums - we could increase the list ad infinitum.

We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition.

This is from page 31 & 32 of the Big Book, in a Chapter called More About Alcoholism which starts on page 30. It talks about "pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization" ~ I had that. I hope you do not have to go down the scales as far as I did, but you may find yourself desperate to quit if you do indeed come to believe you have the disease of alcoholism. This disease is characterised by the "phenomena of craving" (discussed in The Doctor's Opinion) which happens to us when we take in any alcohol whatever.

You are also welcome to step into any AA meeting if you have "a desire to quit drinking". If you are merely curious as to what Alcoholics Anonymous is, try an "Open" meeting which is commonly indicated by "O" on the schedules. You may start your search for a meeting by using this link and following the links to get you closer to your neighborhood.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
Usually you will find a phone number or a hotline. CALL THEM and see if you can speak with an alcoholic. That alcoholic will gladly share their experience with you regarding the self diagnosis required by this disease.

Good luck in your journey. Please stay safe if you chose to experiment with your drinking. I never knew where I was going to end up once I got started. It was like drinking turned off all my safety switches in favor of more drink.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 am

Welcome BruceWayne87. I can tell you my experience. I hope that helps.

I tried every method of limiting or controlling my drinking imaginable. None of them worked to give me the peace of mind I sought. Frankly, to this day, years later, I still can't imagine a reason to drink expect to get drunk enough to forget I'm me for a while.

The relief I finally found was from making the decision to live on a different basis that doesn't include drinking. It's set forth in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I highly recommend it.

I hope to hear more from you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:44 am

Duke wrote:Welcome BruceWayne87. I can tell you my experience. I hope that helps.

I tried every method of limiting or controlling my drinking imaginable. None of them worked to give me the peace of mind I sought. Frankly, to this day, years later, I still can't imagine a reason to drink expect to get drunk enough to forget I'm me for a while.

The relief I finally found was from making the decision to live on a different basis that doesn't include drinking. It's set forth in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I highly recommend it.

I hope to hear more from you.

I'm with you on that Duke.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:58 am

Hello BruceWayne87 and Welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. There is a line in our book than really hit me and it is.

“The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker.”

When I was controlling my drinking I wasn’t a very happy camper. Sound familiar. What AA has done for me was teach me to use a set of spiritual principles which made it possible to an alcohol free life. And I sure it can do the same for you if you are willing to do a few simple things.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Can anyone help or help explain my experience?

Somewhere in the middle of my drinking career, I crossed the line. That I learned by reading the text book of Alcoholics Anonymous. Like others pointed out, pick up a copy from your local library or order one from the Central office and read the book.

Alcohol has not changed, it may come in new bottles but it has the same effect even today. And people behave the same way, like they used to. So nothing much has changed. Even the solution hasn't changed much. There are different options today, but a real alcoholic what ever he/she does needs to have a psychic change.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer