20 Months of Sobriety down the drain

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: 20 Months of Sobriety down the drain

Postby Rossco » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks for the replys ! busy reading The Big Book and I found a good local meeting I can start attending . Been having a bad week health wise I live with chronic pain from the Arthritis in my neck severe Facet joint arthrosis to be more precise its extremely depressing to live in constant pain Physio & Meds only help temporarily .
There are also atheists
and agnostics among us. Belief in or adherence to
a formal creed is not a condition of membership.
We are united by our common problem, alcohol.
(from about AA)
Rossco
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:25 am

Rossco wrote:Thanks for the replys ! busy reading The Big Book and I found a good local meeting I can start attending . Been having a bad week health wise I live with chronic pain from the Arthritis in my neck severe Facet joint arthrosis to be more precise its extremely depressing to live in constant pain Physio & Meds only help temporarily .

It is hard to seriously want to be something like sober when you are in pain. It is said one step at a time and our deal is one day at a time. Pain management is a racket and so I would suggest looking for a means of pain relief that doesn't keep you addicted. Drinking and drugging don't work and you can't do one and not the other because eventually you'll do both with the same results.

Not a lecture but a point from another person who suffers from addiction and understands I am the key to pain management. Time has changed in the BB but the individuals like you and I haven't and so when I remember this point I know I have hope in this journey.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 am

Hello Rossco, I'm Robert and a Los Angeles Area Alcoholic. It only 20 month down the drain if you didn't learn anything. Hopefully you learn the hard lesson that about not having to do this thing we call sobriety alone.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Rossco » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi everyone I had a good meeting this morning small group step/Discussion introduced myself and then listened for the rest of the meeting. Going to another meeting tomorrow and have finished reading the Big Book ! Shouldn't be to long before I'm looking for a sponsor . Thanks for the encouragement and sharing it helps !
There are also atheists
(from about AA)
Rossco
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks for checking in Rossco.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 am

good on ya,roscoe!
since ya finished reading the big book, start reading it again.
12 years into this journey, having read the big book quite a few times, I still read something that seems I didn't read before.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Rossco » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi & thanks for the encouragement ! Yes there's alot to take in reading the Big Book http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous
my first thought at the end was I need to read it over again also a hell of alot of God references. I understand this, everyone has there own conception of a Higher Power I have mine & to each their own. If anyone new is reading this do not be put off reading the Big Book because of the many references to God set that aside and concentrate on the lessons to be learned. Your higher power can be God or anything that works for you.
There are also atheists
(from about AA)
Rossco
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Rossco » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:47 pm

Went to my second meeting today good group of people going again tomorrow will try and share some of my thoughts about my drinking.
Been learning about the different types of AA meetings Speaker, Big Book, Step Study & or Discussion. I was re-reading some of the posts and this struck me as very true at least for me.
"Binge drinking is possibly one of the most difficult "type of alcoholics" to accept that we are indeed alcoholic simply because we don't drink every day'
Thanks to Noels for that observation.
I would add not only do we not drink every day we can go for weeks or months or even years without the urge to drink or get drunk. Why this is I don't know but I know it to be true. I also now accept that I am just as fully alcoholic as the person that does feel compelled to drink every day. I feel this is a big step for me as I had convinced myself I was not alcoholic because I can go for long periods without drinking or thinking about alcohol.
There are also atheists
(from about AA)
Rossco
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:29 am

Why this is I don't know but I know it to be true.

The book talks about it. Its because of our warped mind. Thats why "think through the drink, remember the last drink" all these cliches don't work. For some, they were so desperate and they dug into the 12 steps and got some clarity and then yes, we can look back, however to expect a person without going through the steps, its highly un-likely he/she is a state of mind to think thru. This is a great dis-service we do to the new-comers. Telling them don't pick up and go to meetings.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:47 am

Only a pleasure Rossco :D we're always here to help. Well done and good to have you here :D
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Rossco » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:44 am

Hi been to 2 more meetings since I last posted manged to pluck up enough courage to talk a bit about binge drinking and how its affected me. Its a very small meeting though only 10 to 20 members depending on the day of the week partly i think because its so early in the morning 8am weekdays 9;30 weekends may look for a larger meeting not sure yet. I have been sober for 1 month and feel really good. Feeling very positive and been getting lots of encouragement from the regulars at the meetings. Its also really helpful to be able to come here and read other peoples thoughts and get input.
There are also atheists
(from about AA)
Rossco
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tomsteve » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 am

good on ya rossco!
ya may wanna open up your big book and go to the personal stories. go to the section titled "they stopped in time" and read the intro.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer