Surviving the weekend

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Surviving the weekend

Postby Ange » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:18 pm

I have been sober for 3 days now and tonight is the start of my first dry weekend in many years. Feeling a bit 'twitchy' tonight. Can't get to a meeting but aiming for an 8am one tomorrow (if I can get out of bed at that time).Poured myself an elderflower presse a while ago and hubby asked, "you still off it then? Is this it forever?" Hard to answer that at the moment-don't want to set myself up to fail.
Ange
Forums Newcomer

Re: Surviving the weekend

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 pm

I got plugged into the workshops. You can find them on Youtube or some of the sites that carry them for free. If you cant find them send me a message. They were absolutely great mechanism for me to quench my thirst. I learned so much through those workshops that I would recommend even today to the people i work with.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 pm

I just quit smoking... today is day 2. :shock:

But I also got sober 5 days before my birthday which fell on a Friday! OMGOMGOMG I think I know how you feel right now. That day though I was able to get to 2 meetings in a row. Then, since I am a night person, I went home to an empty house and eked out the rest of the night. I read the Big Book and did some stuff online and drank pop like a beer. My thought was "What the hell am I doing? Maybe I over estimated this thing?" It was not TOO late yet so I called an AA gal and talked to her about the crazy thinking we can have even in sobriety! It helped me to reaffirm the 1st Step. I was alcoholic - I had a disease - and my life - and my thinking - was unmanageable.

Wow, that one on one conversation was sooo helpful. And I did fill the time, 2 meetings and a phone call. I went to bed early because I was still edgy, BUT I DID NOT TAKE THE FIRST DRINK. None of that equals taking the First Step with my sponsor which is how to get to long term sobriety, but it got me through to waking up sober on day 6 and getting another chance to get together with my people and get to working on getting a sponsor and getting to the Steps.

I hope that if you keep an open mind and do the next right thing you might just find your feet walking into that 8am Meeting!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:00 pm

ange, if you don't have a copy of the big book, look it up online and read tonight. it will help you make it through the rest of today.

if you have a copy of the big book, pick it up and read. it will help you through the rest of today.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Ange » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks guys!
Ange
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:44 am

If you look at the material all the way through, the book lays out a key factor that leads the alcoholic back to is old ways. Its his/her mind. You could see in Bills Story. How Knowledge and fear couldn't keep him sober. The Car Salesman, how he suddenly has a thought, if he only could mix whisky in milk on a full stomach, it wont hurt, and the Account story. Just a couple was his thought. And then the man of 30, thought he could handle drinks after long-term sobriety. Thats the insanity of this disease. And the 12 steps restores us to a state where we can firmly see the truth, that we can't safely handle alcohol in any shape or form. Thats the state of wholeness.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi Ange and welcome.

Congratulations on 3 days of sobriety!

Glad you found this forum. Keep coming back..... =biggrin
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:02 am

Ange wrote:I have been sober for 3 days now and tonight is the start of my first dry weekend in many years. Feeling a bit 'twitchy' tonight. Can't get to a meeting but aiming for an 8am one tomorrow (if I can get out of bed at that time).Poured myself an elderflower presse a while ago and hubby asked, "you still off it then? Is this it forever?" Hard to answer that at the moment-don't want to set myself up to fail.

I hope you managed the weekend and this is a very important topic because we all I believe have had to endure the extra time and weekends and periods of silence. Some of these things I have forgotten about because of the years since I was newly sober.

H- Hungry
A-Angry
L-Lonely
T-Tired

This is a good foundation for new comers as we are human and we fall into these categories at our weakest moments even not thinking. So eat, be nice, call a friends, sponsor, and rest because these will make your future smoother.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer