newcomer?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: newcomer?

Postby Noels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:50 pm

I am almost 47 and I had difficulty comprehending the contents. [word removed by moderator] and show compassion. Think back to how you felt when you were 14
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't know any of the circumstances of your life addictedto.youu, so I don't know what options are realistically available to you. What I do know, is that the solution for me came through working the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I found where to find a meeting that fit my needs by getting on the internet and searching for meetings that I could attend. I'm sure you can do the same. Many areas have meetings geared toward younger folks like you who have lots of common interests and needs.

I wish you luck in your efforts.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 pm

When I was in high school, the school councilor connected me with a teacher who was willing to take me to meetings.
I never went of course.... not until I was 26.

There are young people in AA.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Think back to how you felt when you were 14

This kid on the board asking questions. I am sure he/she can understand it. If he/she can't understand, he/she can post and from the book and ask questions.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Layne » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi addictedto.youu, glad you are here! It takes a lot guts for a person to realize and admit that they have a problem that they need help with; at least for me it sure did. I couldn't solve the riddle on my own and I sure did try.

With the help of people in AA, I was introduced to the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous which held the solution for me and countless others.

Read the big book, follow the suggestions in it, talk with members of AA, ask questions, talk from the heart about any concerns you might have, be open and teachable. These are all things that have helped me.

Today I am at a point to where I have absolutely no desire to drink, not even one or two. Alcohol has no appeal whatsoever and I am extremely grateful to feel that way. My life is certainly not any worse off by not consuming alcohol, even if it were on a casual basis; in fact I think my life is way better because I don't.

I am truly free and comfortable in my own skin. How cool is that! I never thought that was possible. :~)
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:21 pm

what do I do, if this whole god stuff doesn't work for me.
addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:50 pm

addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 pm

what do I do if this god stuff doesn't work for me
addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 pm

like no offence to anyone, I just don't believe in it
addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 pm

I had real problems with the whole god stuff when I first started. When I looked for all the ways that the program wouldn't work for me, they were easy to find. I needed to change my focus.

When I looked for the ways that the program would work for me, they were easy to find. For example, did I think that I was the greatest power in the universe? No not really, so then there must be a power that is greater then me. It may sound stupid, but it was a start.

The main thing is that I needed to be open minded. I obviously didn't have the answers, so there was no point looking in my head for answers. I needed to open my mind and explore outside my constricted thinking.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 am

addictedto.youu wrote:what do I do if this god stuff doesn't work for me

Good morning :) lemme ask you first. What does "god stuff" mean to you? How would you describe the god stuff? What picture comes to your mind when you think god stuff? Once we know what you see or mean by that we will be able to relate better from our side and hopefully be able to answer you better :)

And no don't worry about offending us :) We're here to help :)

have an awesome day and we'll speak again
mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:52 am

Is the issue here GOD or you anxiety about the prospect of spending the rest of the life without your (illusion) friend alcohol?

Don't worry most of us had the same issue. But the desire to stay sober was stronger than other stuff.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:49 am

[word removed by moderator] and show compassion.

so glad that I don't have to see the negativity. And about compassion! Because of that, I am here on the board last few years. To give the new comers absolute truth, which is to point them back to the text book of ours. No contamination.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:57 am

:-D :-D :-D I could always pm it to you if you'd like :wink:
Children are still developing emotionally and mentally so you can't speak to them in the exact way you speak to adults. Do you have any children?
If we as adults don't always understand the words as written in the BB how can you assume a child will understand? Let's be honest. BB is not exactly the easiest read?
And since we're having a good open discussion - I was under the impression that our purpose is to share our experiences so that still suffering alcoholics can take from our stories what they need to deal with their own problems and start living life on life's terms?
Pointing me to a paragraph or word in the BB without the experience accompanying it is the same as putting a bottle in front of me and telling me not to drink it while I was still drinking. It teaches me words. It doesn't show me how to live life sober.
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:16 am

Pointing me to a paragraph or word in the BB without the experience accompanying it is the same as putting a bottle in front of me and telling me not to drink it while I was still drinking.

What experience? This kid is struggling. And he/she came on board and asking for help. As I pointed out, alcoholism doesn't discriminate. Some get it when they are born. Some grow into it. I firmly believe he/she would understand. Of course the desire should come from within. That we can't give.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

PreviousNext

Return to For the Newcomer