newcomer?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

newcomer?

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:18 am

Well, idk what to do. I'm 14 years old, I think I'm an alcoholic. Idkk who to talk to or where to go. I'm scared and I'm trying to stop. It's hard and I keep making excuses, someone help I don't want to die like this.
addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Re: newcomer?

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:26 am

I keep making excuses

Thats the peculiar mental twist that the book Alcoholics anonymous talks about. Find a young people AA meeting in your locality. Even if you don't find one, see if you can talk to someone with whom you can relate and ask them to take you through the 12 steps.

Alcoholism doen't discriminate. If you got it you got it.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank goodness you are seeking help now. Can you imagine this life for the next 40 years like many of us have done? You have so many good experiences to look forward to sober. Things many of us missed and will never get back. Like Avaneesh said, find a meeting and go and let them know you need help.

We are here for you so please keep us posted.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi Addicted to you :) welcome here. We're so glad you decided to find out a bit more about alcoholism and will try to answer as best we can :)
Alcohol doesn't care about age and its a good thing you want to find help before it goes any further and trying to stop on our own - well that's pretty hard to do so the easiest way to stop and stay stopped would be to get help from AA.
Since you are under aged I will ask if there's perhaps an adult you can trust - your mom or dad, an older sister or brother, aunt, uncle, teacher ... a counsellor at school, a friend's mom or dad ? Someone who you will feel comfortable with to talk to and tell them about your worries about possible alcohol addiction and to help you get into contact with AA and even find the closest AA meeting near you? If your relationship with your parents are good I will suggest you go to them first. As a mom myself I know that even though I may be a little shaken if my son approached me with a possible alcohol problem I would prefer him to come to me for help immediately rather than him suffering on his own and possibly destroying his life.
So although you are scared and worried there is help available. You've already taken the first step to post here on e-aa now you just need to go to someone who you trust and do exactly the same as you did here.
Alcohol doesn't choose or care who it destroys honey. It will take anyone that it can get hold of so you don't need to feel embarrassed or anything to talk to an adult right there where you are. I can see you have the courage so now you just need to get up and take the action also :)
Let us know how it goes okay?
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:32 pm

i want to go to a meeting with my mom, because she's an alcoholic too. But she doesn't want to quit and I'm scared to tell her that I want to.
addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi Addicted to you :) Love your "handle" by the way :) if mom is an alcoholic as well then she probably know how destructive it is. I remember when I was still drinking I always asked my son to please be careful as although I was drinking I didn't want him to go through what I did or turn out the way I did. It seems okay to us parents to destroy ourselves but we don't ever want that for our children.
If we think about this - if you approach mom (when she's sober) and you speak to her about it what is the worst she can say? If she says she doesn't want you to stop drinking (which I honestly can not imagine her saying) then you approach someone else. What about a dad honey? You can say to mom that you don't expect of her to stop drinking. If she'll just help you you'll appreciate it? What do you think?
mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:03 pm

thanks for all your support guys I rlly appreciate it
addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Youre not alone. I'm off to bed as its 22h00 here in RSA but you're welcome to talk anytime you want to. You can PM or post, whichever way is easiest for you :)
nite nite, sleep tight,
mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm thinking I want to learn to control my drinking and not just stop. stop for now deifinetely , but I wanna be able to have some drinks when I'm older and it not be a problem, any advice?
addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm thinking I want to learn to control my drinking and not just stop. stop for now deifinetely , but I wanna be able to have some drinks when I'm older and it not be a problem, any advice?

It does not work that way. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. Read the "Man of 30 story" in the chapter "More about alcoholism". It talks about this.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby addictedto.youu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:15 pm

i don't have the book.
addictedto.youu
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:17 pm

avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Ava this child is 14????
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Ava this child is 14????

so? Are you worried he will have difficulty in comprehending the contents?
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi Addicted to you :) trying to control my drinking didn't work for me as we alcoholics have an actual allergy to alcohol so in short, the more I drank the more I craved more alcohol. That's why we also say one drink was too little but a thousand never enough. But you'll learn all about this as we go.
To answer your question whether you'll be able to drink in future I'd say why worry about that right now?
The most important is that you want to stop drinking right now and that is enough and all you need to become a member of AA. So I'd say let's concentrate on right now and you can always re-choose again in the future if you want to?
I'm really off to bed now but we'll talk further in the morning OK?
Mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to For the Newcomer