Insomnia and vomiting

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Insomnia and vomiting

Postby BlueWhisky » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:48 pm

I tried to taper down a bit today and just so sick. I got told at AA to go cold turkey and then told by an alcohol counsellor that this was dangerous. Alcohol makes me feel temporarily better but then the vomiting starts again. It's been going on a week. I have had multiple periods of this over the past couple of years. Just lying here hating myself for all the S*** things I've done in my life and wondering if I can ever get out of this horrible cycle. It's nearly 3am here so I can't go to a meeting. My career and friendships have suffered badly because of my drinking and now it seems my health is declining too. I'm only 33 and scared that there's no hope for me. What if people ask too many questions about my CV? I skipped two job interviews because of this. Now I am worried if I go to rehab I will end up quitting again because I am worried about more gaps in CV. Everything is a crazy catch-22. I suppose early death would be a very long gap on my CV though... :(
BlueWhisky
Forums Newcomer

Re: Insomnia and vomiting

Postby PaigeB » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:10 am

You do not necessarily have to go to a long treatment center. Detox may take a few days, then perhaps out patient treatment to help with the CV problem. It is dangerous, possible, to die during withdrawl from alcohol. I would take you to the nearest emergency room and have you take a couple days in detox then reevaluate.

We cannot give you medical advice, so... someone telling you to go cold turkey might not understand how dangerous that can be.

See a DOCTOR ASAP - now is a good time.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:23 am

As Paige said, we're not doctors. Just because I didn't need inpatient care doesn't mean you don't need it. I suggest a visit to your GP, AA doesn't do detox medical treatment.

But I can certainly relate to the feeling that my life was so insanely busy that I couldn't possibly afford to take 2 weeks out for detox treatment. My life seemed so important, yet so close to completion of that implosion of the universe.

Insomnia is extremely common for alcoholics in early sobriety, the body had grown accustomed to being anaesthatised by all that alcohol.

Regarding the wreckage of the past, that's what the AA program is all about. It's part of a process which results in not even wanting a drink, let alone feeling that need for one.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:34 am

I got told at AA to go cold turkey and then told by an alcohol counsellor that this was dangerous.

Doctors Opinion in the Big Book clearly points to initial rehabilitation of the patient for some is a must. You may fall under that category. There are lot of opinions in the world today. Do what is best for you.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:07 am

Many AA members have gone to detox in hospitals. I'd suggest you phone the appropriate people or get someone you trust to phone for you as soon as possible.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:05 am

BlueWhisky wrote:I tried to taper down a bit today and just so sick. I got told at AA to go cold turkey and then told by an alcohol counsellor that this was dangerous. Alcohol makes me feel temporarily better but then the vomiting starts again. It's been going on a week. I have had multiple periods of this over the past couple of years. Just lying here hating myself for all the S*** things I've done in my life and wondering if I can ever get out of this horrible cycle. It's nearly 3am here so I can't go to a meeting. My career and friendships have suffered badly because of my drinking and now it seems my health is declining too. I'm only 33 and scared that there's no hope for me. What if people ask too many questions about my CV? I skipped two job interviews because of this. Now I am worried if I go to rehab I will end up quitting again because I am worried about more gaps in CV. Everything is a crazy catch-22. I suppose early death would be a very long gap on my CV though... :(

Hi Blues and welcome to e-aa :D Well done for deciding to stop drinking and taking back your life. Withdrawals can be terrible and dangerous and since you've had the vomits for a week already it will definitely be a good idea to go to the doctor. A couple of members here have mentioned in the past that there are medication that can help you right in the beginning to help with the withdrawals. Since you are concerned about your health a checkup at this stage may help to ease your mind also.

Apart from meds I found that sweet black tea and bread with nothing on taken bits by bits throughout the day helped me during rough times. Sweeties (candy)/chocolates also helped me with the physical craving.

You being worried about employment makes sense to me but if you think about it, will you be able to go to an interview in the condition you are in right now and make a good impression? And if we take this a little bit further, when you do find that perfect position, will you be able to hold it down while withdrawing or still drinking? If the answer is no or not sure it might be wiser to sober up first and then look for work or alternative employment? If you are currently employed are you able to discuss the addiction with your employer so you can go to rehab perhaps? If you are already in touch with an alcohol counsellor perhaps discuss all these thoughts with such person?

A catch 22 situation is exactly what we talk about when we say our lives have become unmanageable. That is how life seemed to me while I was still drinking. Everything was an issue. Nothing was simple. How wonderfully different it is 16 months later. Everything is perfect and happening exactly as it should. Suffering withdrawals and craving for a while was most definitely worth it and so far in the past now.

Death is not an option while there is still hope and possibilities. You just need to choose the one you feel will work for you and then take action on that choice.

If I could do it, you can too :D

Lotsa Love and Light
xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Welcome! I have some thoughts I would like to share in response to your post, but I'm short on time right now so I will just say this. Tapering isn't working for you and cold turkey is dangerous. You might consider going to the e.r. for detox. You probably need to get on IV fluids for dehydration and there are medications to keep you from seizures. Different hospitals handle this differently but where I came from, I was able to go to e.r. and get IV fluids which included a medication to prevent seizures and be out of there after about 3 hours. They gave me a prescription for a few days worth of medication to keep me from having seizures and I didn't have to miss any time from work.

There is work to be done so that you never have to go through this again, but for now, I would like to see you get sober safely.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer