Plugging HA home group at AA meetings?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Plugging HA home group at AA meetings?

Postby shimmer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:37 pm

I understand singleness of purpose and stuff, I think you guys aren't fully grasping what I'm getting at here.

I'm not talking about standing up and rambling on about HA, or even discussing it all during a meeting.

I'm guessing in your areas they don't ask out of town guests to say what their home group is when standing up and introducing yourself your first time there? Well it's pretty common around here, I'd feel kind of out of place if they asked me to stand up and introduce myself and tell them what my home group is and I didn't say what my home group is... But my HG name has HA in it.

All I do is stand up and say "Hello, my name is firstname and I'm an alcoholic, I'm from cityname, and my home group is [insert home group name here]." It's a pretty standard introduction around here, the only difference is my home group happens to be a different fellowship.

If someone wants to talk about HA or something that would be talk for fellowship time after the meeting, of course.

Does that make more sense?

In that situation should I say the name of my home group, seeing as how they specifically ask me to, or just not say it?
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:02 am

Hi Shimmer :D a wonderfully beautiful Monday morning to you :D I cant see any harm in saying your home group's name. I would follow my heart in this situation.
Have an awesome day today
mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:06 am

Traveled worldwide and been to AA meeting since I am mostly alcoholic, and when I introduced myself I kept it to AA. In todays world finding a specific meeting in the US it should be reasonably easy unless you are in a town of 200 and all they have is AA if that. In which case introducing yourself alcoholic/Addict is ok because you are working on addiction. it was mentioned earlier about motives, and with keeping with being humble, and not being narcissistic as it is not about us.

I recommend keeping it simple and if someone after the meeting is curious then they'll ask.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:15 am

Best wishes Shimmer, hope your week is a great one!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 am

"Hello, my name is firstname and I'm an alcoholic, I'm from cityname, and my home group is [insert home group name here]."
No issue with this in the Houston area. Yes we do ask if there are any visitors.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:33 am

Why is it you think you need to tell the home group? I can just say I am so and so and I am an alcoholic. I have never seen any one ask someone which home group they belong too. We alcoholic want to complicate every thing.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby shimmer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks everyone.

I've been over why a few times now, but the main reason is because they explicitly ask for it.
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:45 am

avaneesh912 wrote:Why is it you think you need to tell the home group? I can just say I am so and so and I am an alcoholic. I have never seen any one ask someone which home group they belong too. We alcoholic want to complicate every thing.

You are right when you can step back and see that and in the middle of things we might be clueless and mean well.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:45 am

shimmer wrote:Thanks everyone.

I've been over why a few times now, but the main reason is because they explicitly ask for it.

welp, I think your OP didn't mention that and that could be where we're getting the opinions here. notice, you stated:

,but im never sure if I should plug my home group , which happens to be an HA meeting, when introducing myself at out of town AA meetings or not because although we use the Big Book it's a different fellowship.

you didn't state that you are being asked what your Hg is.
theres a wee bit of difference between plugging a meeting and mentioning it when asked what your HG is.

iffen I went to an NA,CA,HA meeting and they asked me what my HG is, and beings how im mainly AA and that's where my HG is, id say what my AA HG is.

but then I could see some members getting snippy and group conscious meetings happening,rule 62 being thrown out the winder, complicating the crap out of it, and a few more "rules" implemented.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Roberth » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:10 pm

Whenever I am out of town and ask to say something I tell them "My name is Robert (and my last name) and I am an alcoholic. An now for the Ad My home group is the Skid Row Drifters. We meet in a park in the heart of los Angeles' skid row. If you are ever in LA stop by and see us. we are there at 7:30 every night. " I usually apologize for not knowing their protocol but in my 25 years I have not mention what fellowship my home group is.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Lali » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Heroin Anonymous is your HOME GROUP? Mine is not Alcoholics Anonymous - AA is the name of the organization I belong to. If I were asked my HOME GROUP, I would say the "Westside Group".

Call me :| "confused".
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Coming from a small town, we never even had AA meetings 7 days a week. NA was hit and miss, Alan on was 1 night a week,2-3 member's wife's.

As the Program opened up a little, Addicts started to appear, claiming both Alcoholic/Addict. Last week one of the Ole Timers brought it up, calling them "And a's". He mis stated the role of "Dr. Alcoholic Addict" (my favourite personal storey) name change in the Big Book as an acceptance of this fact, rather than some what staying to the Primary Purpose.

But really, Addiction is Addiction, the substance is merely a symptom. The reason Why we drank/used is what needs to be relieved. Now until a New Comer comes to see this, Alcohol should be the main focus.

We Co Habituate in our small town quite well, but there is still some reluctance.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Lali » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:23 pm

Shimmer, It just occurred to me, you are creating a problem where none exists. When asked to state your home group, you are stating the organization that you belong to, NOT your home group. I am a member of Alcoholics Anonymous but my HOME GROUP is called the Westside Group. So if I were asked the question, the answer would simply be "The Westside Group".

I say you are creating a "problem" because you obviously are concerned about this issue. No concern necessary, simply answer the question posed - the name of YOUR HOME GROUP.

You don't need to feel responsible to educate those people in the meetings you visit as to where they can find a narcotics anonymous meeting. They will find them just the same as they found AA meetings - by googling or by calling their local Narcotics Anonymous office.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:22 am

Lali wrote:Heroin Anonymous is your HOME GROUP? Mine is not Alcoholics Anonymous - AA is the name of the organization I belong to. If I were asked my HOME GROUP, I would say the "Westside Group".

good point!
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby shimmer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:36 am

My home group has HA in the name, which makes it obvious it's not an AA meeting. I know my home group isn't Heroin Anonymous, lol.

I'm just asking because I honestly don't know what the rule of thumb is on it and I don't want to seem disrespectful towards AA or the people of the meeting.
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to For the Newcomer