Plugging HA home group at AA meetings?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Plugging HA home group at AA meetings?

Postby shimmer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:41 am

@tomsteve

I didn't include it in the OP because I wasn't aware that that wasn't standard procedure in other areas, I thought it was and therefore you guys would understand what I was talking about.

My bad, I now realize that's not as common as I thought it was, and I clarified in my next few posts.
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:56 am

shimmer, some of us are confused because there is a difference in the meanings of the word "plugging" and saying. Plugging means more like advertising.

In our group, we ask if there's any visitors and the usual answer is "Bill alcoholic from xx state" or if they are from Houston, they usually mention from xx group. This is not plugging.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:18 am

:D :D :D Good morning :D :D :D this is becoming complicated. Just do what you feel in your heart to do hon. I'm sure if they're not happy with it they'll tell you after meeting. You're never going to know until you actually do it and what's the worst that can happen? Chill and be happy. Be yourself. :wink:
xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:32 am

I agree with "keep.it simple ", and wouldn't mention it. If in AA, what's relevant is your AA Home Group. I don't walk into an AA meeting and announce myself as a member of the local animal shelter, Mensa, or a sailing club. Being a member of another 12-Step fellowship is the same thing.

So if you don't have a Home Group that's an AA group, you don't have a Home Group in AA. If troubled by this, perhaps the simplest thing to do is pick one.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Layne » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:12 am

So if you don't have a Home Group that's an AA group, you don't have a Home Group in AA.

Ditto this. Short and simple and hits the nail on the head.
When at a meeting of AA and this arises
Like the chairperson will ask "Any out of town guests want to stand up, introduce yourself, and plug your home group?" or some similar variation of that.

I would imagine that they are asking about "your home (AA) group" and just not including the descriptor of AA because it never entered their mind that it was necessary.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:21 pm

shimmer wrote:My home group has HA in the name, which makes it obvious it's not an AA meeting. I know my home group isn't Heroin Anonymous, lol.

I'm just asking because I honestly don't know what the rule of thumb is on it and I don't want to seem disrespectful towards AA or the people of the meeting.

What is the actual name of your home group, BTW? I don't believe you have even mentioned it.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby shimmer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:39 pm

I prefer not to say.
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:20 am

:lol: Touche :lol: have an awesome weekend Shimmer.
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer