Plugging HA home group at AA meetings?

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Plugging HA home group at AA meetings?

Postby shimmer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:51 am

Would this be considered poor etiquette?

I like to go to a lot of out of town meetings to change things up a bit, but I'm never sure if I should plug my home group, which happens to be an HA meeting, when introducing myself at out of town AA meetings or not because although we use the Big Book it's a different fellowship.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions on the subject.
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Plugging HA home group at AA meetings?

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:20 am

I don't even know what HA is.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:09 am

Its Heroin Anonymous, many major cities have seen an influx of Heroin overdoses, including where I live. I heard the drug dealers have those narcan sprays and apiece their clients they are there if they over-dose. Good entrepreneurship.

Having said that, what do you mean by plug your home-group? Announce that you are from a HA group? Can't be without identifying it? I have heard if alcoholics go to NA/CA meetings and mention the word "Drink" the others get squirely, so why is it, its ok to talk about drugs in a AA meeting?

But there are several groups around where I live, some of them welcome all people but they are primarily recognize themselves as AA and there are smaller groups that enforce the singleness of purpose, strictly. There are some old-timers who would not hesitate to ask you to zip up if you talk about drugs. So be aware of the group mentality and blend in.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:29 am

if they ask for non AA related announcements, I wouldn't see a problem
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 am

shimmer wrote:Would this be considered poor etiquette?

I like to go to a lot of out of town meetings to change things up a bit, but I'm never sure if I should plug my home group, which happens to be an HA meeting, when introducing myself at out of town AA meetings or not because although we use the Big Book it's a different fellowship.

WHY do you want to do this?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Lali wrote:
shimmer wrote:Would this be considered poor etiquette?

WHY do you want to do this?

my sponsor seriously helped me keep the 10th step simple:
check your motives.
cant get much simpler than that.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi Shimmer and welcome to e-aa :D I had to check up what " plug" means in this particular context. Google recons its " closely connected; in touch with what is going on; informed; involved" - apart from the usual usage related to kettle plug and plug things into sockets, etc etc.
If I understand your question correctly you are asking whether to mention your home group when introducing yourself at other meetings and in particular, AA meetings?
My thoughts would be that you should feel comfortable to introduce yourself as "Shimmer, addict/alcoholic", just visiting, should you wish to do so. If asked to share I don't see why you couldn't state where you're from. Here by us it is done the whole time. "Hi I'm Noels, Alcoholic, just visiting" then when they ask where I'm from (and they usually do) I say " xxx group".

Hope this help with your question.

Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi shimmer and welcome.

if they ask for non AA related announcements, I wouldn't see a problem

I agree with this poster's share. Many AA members are also members of other 12 Step programs for other addiction issues and will appreciate you sharing this info.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby shimmer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:46 pm

"Plug" in this context means basically give a shout-out to.

Like the chairperson will ask "Any out of town guests want to stand up, introduce yourself, and plug your home group?" or some similar variation of that.

As for the why I want to do it is for a few reasons, a big one being that they specifically ask what your home group is, another being I want the people around me to know a little about me.

And another big one is HA is very prevalent in my area, but not so much in surrounding areas, so I like to get it a little more visibility in other places. I like what HA is doing, a lot of people, especially younger people, identify with it more than traditional AA meetings, when we share we can talk about any substance we want without upsetting anyone, which I feel is very important to get newcomers to relate with us better and get them to keep coming back.

The heroin epidemic is out-of-hand in my state, well really everywhere, and it seems like a lot of people don't really know what HA is, and I believe it has the potential to save lives, so if I can let people know about it I think the more the better.
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Db1105 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:45 pm

I've always practiced then "when in Rome" method in my recovery. When I'm in an AA meeting, it's all about Alcoholics Anonymous, when I was in NA, it's all about Narcotics Anonymous. I have a AA Homegroup and had an AA sponsor who I went through the Twelve Steps. I had an NA Homegroup and NA Sponsor who I did The Twelve Steps with. I did my best not to mix the two Fellowships.

Have you discussed The 12 Traditions with your sponsor?
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Db1105 wrote:I've always practiced then "when in Rome" method in my recovery. When I'm in an AA meeting, it's all about Alcoholics Anonymous, when I was in NA, it's all about Narcotics Anonymous. I have a AA Homegroup and had an AA sponsor who I went through the Twelve Steps. I had an NA Homegroup and NA Sponsor who I did The Twelve Steps with. I did my best not to mix the two Fellowships.

Have you discussed The 12 Traditions with your sponsor?

Spot on advice! Thank you Db1105!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Like the chairperson will ask "Any out of town guests want to stand up, introduce yourself, and plug your home group?" or some similar variation of that.

Hi Shimmer :D thanks for clarifying for me :D
I can't see any harm in saying exactly where you're from. Effectively they are asking aren't they? If they don't want the question answered they shouldn't ask it in the first place. So yes I would get up and just say which group you're from and perhaps just add it's a group for heroin addiction. In the beginning. That way, if anyone is in need they know to approach you after meeting.
Apart from that - just keep going to those meetings. That's how the people will get to know you better. I wouldn't 'push the HA meetings in the AA meetings but making them aware that this meeting is available - why not?
Any AA member who takes offence to that should look at their own motives as to why they don't want you to do this.
Love and light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:20 am

A good question was asked by avaneesh yesterday -
I have heard if alcoholics go to NA/CA meetings and mention the word "Drink" the others get squirely, so why is it, its ok to talk about drugs in a AA meeting?

This is a fact, I have been invited to NA meetings but told in a nice way to try not to speak about drinking, it's OK to speak about addiction in general, but please don't specify booze because it turns the members off. Fair enough it's your meeting I will follow your suggestions, but AA also has it's singleness of purpose, in fact we invented the whole thing, so equal respect all around for each and every recovery fellowship should be the guideline. Db mentioned “when in Rome,” that sums it up nicely.

I have heard chairpersons ask if anyone new would like to introduce themselves, but never taken it for an excuse to plug any home group. While I respect the idea of spreading the word about HA in an area that has no such fellowship, there are ways to do that other than announcing it at AA meetings.

I wish you the best shimmer, although from what I say it might not seem so, I just prefer to be direct about these things.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Layne » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:36 am

An AA meeting is a short 60 minutes. Those precious short 60 minutes need to be used for sharing about the disease of alcoholism. We ain't got much time in 60 minutes to try and reach a suffering alcoholic. There is plenty of time, both before and after the meeting to plug your home group.

At my home group we allow recovery posters to be placed on a table designated for such items. We also have a bulletin board for non-AA related announcements. Outside the rooms, throughout my community there also exist many similar options at businesses, libraries, public transportation stops, medical buildings, newspapers, etc. You might investigate similar options available to you for plugging your home group or HA meetings.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:47 am

We have no opinions on outside issues, so if HA is an outside issue, then an HA meeting wouldn't be announced at an AA meeting imo.

We can't help what we are, everybody comes to AA with a whole group of other identifications, while in AA meetings and at groups our primary purpose is to help the still suffering alcoholic, so that's the focus.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to For the Newcomer