I'm scared I may be an alcoholic later in life.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

I'm scared I may be an alcoholic later in life.

Postby NavyTurtle096 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 pm

I am in college and I feel like it is difficult to get through the day w.o alcohol. I can easily drink a 12 pack of beer by myself in a night. I have struggled with depression and anxiety in the past, although I felt like I have overcome that obstacle (I have not felt as depressed as I did when I was diagnosed w/ it and I started going to the gym, which I still do, and had gained 30 lbs (130 -> 160 lbs) since I have seen a psychiatrist within that last year, although I will admit I still have abnormal anxiety which I have not overcome yet like I did with depression). Recently, I have felt like my ideas have just been more creative when I am tipsy or drunk. I major in computer science and I have realized that i have my best innovations while I am under the influence. Even though I am still in college, I still have operated my own business where people will still pay me to write functional programs for them, mainly for disposal income, which is a steady source of income. What I am getting worried about is that I am going to become to dependent on alcohol which I do not want to be, especially with my history of depression. I do not know what to do. Am I too dependent on alcohol? I know this may seem silly or whatever, but even when it comes to liquor I can drink a Jack Daniels 1.75L bottle in less then a few days. I do have strong discipline level and would never reach out to someone unless I thought it may be a problem that may affect me in the future. I just do not want to turn into that person that always turns into alcohol in the future. What do you guys think? I made this account on the forums for this very specific question. I want your guys honest opinion, dealing with any kind of alcoholism abuse, what would you guys consider this?
NavyTurtle096
Forums Newcomer

Re: I'm scared I may be an alcoholic later in life.

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:50 am

Welcome.

You can read the AA textbook free online here: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

It describes alcoholism The Doctor's Opinion, More About Alcoholism.

I got sober when I was 26 and have stayed that way for 31 years. I am so grateful to have escaped a life of drunkenness. There are many young people to hang with in AA.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:06 am

Am I too dependent on alcohol?

Our book suggest couple of tests. Try to stay away for a year and see how your general being is. If you are an alcoholic, your mind will always come up with a reason (justifiable) to drink.

The other test is to drink consistently a pre-determined permitted amount of alcohol. Perhaps 2 12 oz bottles. Not the alcoholic way of thinking 2 32 oz LOL. This is to see if you have the physical craving.

We got news for you though, you don't have to be an alcoholic only later on in the life, I have seen kids 15 walking into the rooms. Already they have been to several treatment facilities.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:51 am

It is best to go to a meeting and see the people in person and then you can gauge if you are an alcoholic or not. Maybe you are just an abuser trying to keep up with the others on campus? I know many meetings are around UofM in PG county and so you are in good hands.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:13 am

Hi NavyTurtle and welcome to e-aa :D

I can relate to the I have felt like my ideas have just been more creative when I am tipsy or drunk. I wrote all my son's English and Afrikaans essays when I was half plastered in his matric year and he (I) got 2 distinctions :D Afrikaans 98% mind you - first in the grade :lol: yet when speaking Afrikaans I need a dictionary to translate. The same with decorating, painting, etc, etc,. Perhaps its because I, at that time restricted and limited my imagination which affected my creativity as now that I am sober I allow myself to be whatever I possibly can be with or without self-created limitations and every day for me has been and is a masterpiece - whichever way it goes :D
As to the amount of liquor I can easily drink a 12 pack of beer by myself in a night - I honestly don't think its how much I drank as to who I became when I drank. I was never a beer or hard liquor drinker so 4 beers and I would be on my ears. Nobody can tell you whether you are indeed an alcoholic. Like Ava, Spirit and Posi suggested, the easiest way would be for you to test yourself - not only by refraining from alcohol for a certain period as we all managed to do that at some stage in our drinking but also possibly going to meetings and look for the similarities in the shares rather than the differences. If I had to look for the differences in the shares rather than the similarities I would possibly still have been drinking and been way worse than when I stopped drinking since alcoholism is unfortunately a progressive disease. The fact that you are asking yourself whether you could indeed be an alcoholic does indicate the possibility though as if I know for a fact that I am not something, a question about that doesn't even enter my mind. Example - I am female. Checked and confirmed :D so Ive never doubted or asked myself whether I could be anything else.
Apart from this, I don't know if you are on any medication for the depression but its been my experience that its never a good idea to have alcohol with any kind of medication whatsoever.

Hope this help and wishing you all the best.
Love and Light,
xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:24 am

It's sounds to me like you have a pretty unhealthy dependance on alcohol there, my friend. Only you can decide if you're an alcoholic, so I'd recommend you attend a few open meetings to see if the message resonates with you.

I too, used alcohol to manage my mental and emotional state, and I also accomplished lot while inebriated. I reached the point where no quantity was enough, and eventually where it stopped working altogether. I stopped when I was thirty and don't feel like I missed out on anything.

Good luck to you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:01 am

...I feel like it is difficult to get through the day w.o alcohol... I can easily drink a 12 pack of beer by myself in a night...I have felt like my ideas have just been more creative when I am tipsy or drunk... i have my best innovations while I am under the influence... I still have operated my own business... I can drink a Jack Daniels 1.75L bottle in less then a few days...I do have strong discipline level and would never reach out to someone...

These all perfectly describe me in the past.

I don't know if you are now, or will be in the future, an alcoholic; I just know that I am.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Db1105 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:48 pm

I sobered up shortly before my 18th birthday. I just turned 57 and not drinking has only kept me from drinking alcohol. It's has enabled me to have a great life.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:41 am

Db1105 wrote:I sobered up shortly before my 18th birthday. I just turned 57 and not drinking has only kept me from drinking alcohol. It's has enabled me to have a great life.

Hi, Db. Did you mean to say, "...and not drinking has NOT only kept me from drinking alcohol. It has enabled me to have a great life."?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:54 am

Belated Happy Birthday DB :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 am

I just turned 57 and not drinking has only kept me from drinking alcohol.

I took that as meaning what it says, only kept me from drinking alcohol, I did and do everything else life has to offer. To me that's a good message for new people who worry that they will have to lead a sheltered life, away from the many fun activities which are associated with drinking. Not only kept me from drinking works as well however.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Db1105 wrote:I sobered up shortly before my 18th birthday. I just turned 57 and not drinking has only kept me from drinking alcohol. It's has enabled me to have a great life.

:D :) :D :mrgreen: :)
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby shimmer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:55 pm

You're the only one that can decide whether or not you're an alcoholic.

Try reading the Doctor's Opinion and maybe a few personal stories from Part II: They Stopped In Time and see if you relate.

Here's the link to those again http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

Those stories really helped me to come to the realization that I am an alcoholic, and they helped me to realize I didn't have to go as far down the scale as some others have gone to stop and get help.

One thing I was told a long time ago though is that most non-alcoholic people, "normies", don't wonder if they're alcoholic, and IME that appears to hold true.
shimmer
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Db1105 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Lali wrote:

Hi, Db. Did you mean to say, "...and not drinking has NOT only kept me from drinking alcohol. It has enabled me to have a great life."?

I guess I lost a "not" there. Thanks!
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Return to For the Newcomer