Still sobering up

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Still sobering up

Postby Noels » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:58 pm

i]Just so you all know, my husband will celebrate 31 years of continuous sobriety as of January14th, 2017 [/i]

CONGRATULATIONS to your husbands 31st sobriety birthday Thebowsie :D

Xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Re: Still sobering up

Postby Lali » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:20 am

Layne wrote:Hi Nubshock. Welcome and I am glad that you are here. I would suggest going to a meeting. Get there a little early and introduce yourself to a couple of members. Ask about obtaining a copy of the "Big Book".

After attending the meeting, if you see, or hear, or read anything that you want for yourself; then return again in the future. After starting to read the big book, if you read anything that you want for yourself; then continue with reading the big book and follow the suggestions.

Alcoholics Anonymous has shown me a better way of life. Today that life is one that exceeds my wildest imagination and expectations. I wouldn't trade it for anything and I am so grateful to be here.

Good advice. To take it further, listen to people's shares. When you hear someone that has what you want ask them to sponsor you and guide you through the steps.

Another poster suggested that you sit on step one. I believe what the poster meant was, don't move on until you have step one 100%. Once you are convinced of your powerlessness and unmanageability, MOVE ON to step 2, then 3, etc. You will probably hear that Step One is the only step that you have to "get" 100%. The steps ARE our program of recovery. I remember asking someone when I was in early sobriety, how long should I wait to start the steps. Their response was, "How soon do you want to get well?"
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer