Not Sure

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Not Sure

Postby Dean C » Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:32 am

Welcome, wifethinksso. It isn't possible for anyone here to tell you whether you're an alcoholic, or in denial. AA offers a solution to the problem of alcoholism. There is a requirement for membership: a desire to stop drinking. We have no opinion on whether anyone should or shouldn't stop. It's up to the individual.<P>I can tell you that your wife's sentiments sound very similar to those of many of my friends and loved ones when I was drinking. I was the last person to realize anything might be wrong with my behavior. By the time I did realize it, my drinking had progressed so far that I couldn't stop. Then things just kept getting worse.<P>Our literature suggests, if one is unsure, that a person try some controlled drinking. Just have one or two drinks, and stop. It also suggests that if the person is an alcoholic, the experiment will most likely fail.<P>Another way to get to the same place is to ask, what if I just stop? Why not just stop drinking?<P>Hope this helps a little. Please come back as often as you'd like.
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby Susan » Tue Jun 05, 2001 8:59 pm

Perhaps you are reaching out for help ? You are the only one that can decide if you are an alcoholic or not, though. You may want to attend some Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, and see if you can identify with any of the people there, or read some of our literature. Please write back if you feel inclined to explore it all more. Happy Trails ....Susan :confused:
Happy Trails ~

Susan
Susan
Forums Contributor

Postby Dean C » Tue Jun 05, 2001 10:39 pm

As Susan suggests, going to a few AA meetings might answer some questions. You don't need to be an alcoholic to go to "open" AA meetings. Once there, you don't have to talk or even tell anyone your name. Only AA members support the group, so there's no money involved.<P>Also, you don't mention how long you've been drinking. I started at age 18. I could pretty much start and stop for about the first 13 years. For the next seven years, I kept remembering those times when I could stop and thought I still could. But I was too far gone to even try. Financially, things kept getting better. The relationships all seemed to end (because I had a "drinking problem," they said), but, hey, there was always another one just waiting to happen. I always seemed to be lonely. Then I started losing things: business, home, cars, credit. Until it was all gone. Then I wanted to stop drinking. But couldn't. I had almost another year to go. That last year was by far the worst one of my life.<P>Haven't had a drink in thirteen years and seven months (at 6:35 p.m. tomorrow night). Couldn't be happier.
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Return to For the Newcomer