slowing drinkign but problems

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: slowing drinkign but problems

Postby clouds » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:46 am

I was told to not concern myself with god during my first weeks of AA. Just to get to as many meeings as possible, read the AA book, get a sponsor and begin the steps. The god part doesn't come at the beginning anyway and as you have read, many of us, including me, come to AA with no faith. Especially no faith in ourselves being able to stop drinking and stay stopped.

Any way you look at it,as the slogan says " Easy Does It ", will be the way forward, making contact with some AA people will give you a view of the varied types of people in AA and how they each pproach sober living through the 12 steps.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby dave.smith » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:46 pm

part of the reason i drink i think is because of the time ive had with my mother and sister about religion... but then againt aht is one of many things...

BUT, i may have cracked the sleeping thing. Stupid me, i started with these strong coffee bags, one a day and just after i finished work... I am sure its partly the reason... Its chrismas now, im off for 2 weeks, i had a little blow out the first day off, and ive drank each night now, its been like a bottle of red wine, and some cider... maybe that is quite a lot but im off ...

I have to say though, ive reolised how bored i am with my life... there is the problem, there is the reason i have the problem with being sober...

thankyou everyone for your help... ive got a lot to think about.. . Im not saying this thread should be locked, but i got the idea.
dave.smith
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 pm

I have to say though, ive reolised how bored i am with my life... there is the problem, there is the reason i have the problem with being sober...

What do you plan to do with this knowledge?
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks for sharing Dave. I hope it's helping you to talk about it. There's a lot of really good experience, strength and hope here that is available to you if you want to quit through the use of the program of alcoholics anonymous. You won't find much help with efforts to moderate or control your drinking since that didn't work for any of us.

Good luck to you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby dave.smith » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:36 pm

i have slowed down, this last week i have drank again as im off for christmas, and i am not drinking like i used to... i think in a year maybe more, ill have stopped drinking...

I know a small amount often is better than not drinking until one day. But not drinking at all is the answer.

the knollage? try to do something else instead of wasting time sat at home watchign you tube vids... find a galfriend ;)
dave.smith
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:03 pm

The more I drank, the less I did, which resulted in boredom, which led to more drinking. A vicious cycle.

I didn't go places where I couldn't drink the way I wanted to. I didn't do activities where I couldn't drink the way I wanted to. I didn't do a lot. I mainly sat at home where i could drink the way I wanted to.

Since getting sober, I don't have the time time to get bored. I am doing all the things I used to enjoy before they got in the way of my drinking. Not only that, but I have also discovered a whole bunch of new things that I enjoy immensely. Life is good today. I remember my drinking days and I am so grateful that I never have to feel that way again.

Life has really opened for me since I put the bottle down. For me, sobriety works!
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer