New member and new to AA

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

New member and new to AA

Postby apol1985 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi, my name is Alex.

I'm 31 and a Brooklyn native.

I'm an alcoholic and today is day 9.

I look forward to interacting with everyone here.

Thank you.
apol1985
Forums Newcomer

Re: New member and new to AA

Postby Duke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Welcome Alex and congratulations on day nine. I bet it wasn't that long ago that you thought a sober week was impossible. I know I'd reached the point that a sober half day seemed impossible. And yet, this program, worked one day at a time has given me many years of sobriety.

We're glad to have you join us.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:30 am

Lot of meetings in the city and so you'll be ok as they run 24/7. I have family over in Belmont/Arthur Ave. in the Bronx's. Welcome
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:42 am

If we are alcoholic, we need to realize that without a spiritual solution we will go back to our friend. How quickly we realize this and start working the steps, determines our sobriety. Hope your HP helps you arrive at the conclusion quickly. So you don't have to go through the alcoholic torture anymore.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:41 am

Congrats on 9 days! I agree wholeheartedly with Avaneesh's post above. May I make some suggestions? Get to some meetings (especially Book studies); look for similarities to yourself in the sharing - rather than differences; start reading our basic text, "Alcoholics Anonymous" a/k/a The Big Book; find someone who "has what you want" and ask them to guide you through the steps. You can find the Big Book online or purchase one at a meeting. We often suggest as starting points in the Book, "The Doctor's Opinion", "More About Alcoholism" and "There is a Solution".

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. It's good to have you aboard!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:51 am

Hi, Alex,

9 days! Well done. :D

The programme is explained clearly in our book and here's a link to a free online version:

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

Go and start reading. It worked for me.

Mike
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:24 am

Hello Alex and welcome to E-AA and AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Congratulations on 9 days. They have some great meetings and people in your area.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby AR31186 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Hello,

Congratulations on 9 days sober. One day at a time!
AR31186
Forums Newcomer

Postby clouds » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:27 am

Welcome to e-aa Alex :)
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:04 am

Keep coming back! IT WORKS!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Beetlejuice » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:22 am

Hi Alex!

I hope you're doing well on your journey! I've just started out too! I want to be free of the rollercoaster too
Beetlejuice
Forums Newcomer

Return to For the Newcomer