When to say good bye to your best mate

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: When to say good bye to your best mate

Postby Tosh » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Lali wrote:
clouds wrote:Once someone said they liked me drunk better than sober because I was uptight without the alcohol.

I had a good comeback to that: "I liked YOU better when I was drunk as well."

Ouch.

:lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: When to say good bye to your best mate

Postby jw21 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 pm

hey ht,

i find myself here because my boyfriend and i of almost 3 years recently broke up after he began a heroin addiction, went to rehab, completed an IOP program, and is now getting his life back together in a sober living. he claims he lost feelings and needs to start over with out me. as devasted as i am after i stayed by his side throughout it all, is it now time for me to get myself back together after this draining and exhausting journey. i hope one day we have another chance, but we are both broken and need to heal. time will only tell.

i know this isn't your partner but is your bestfriend, and that is almost more painful. my bestfriend lives across the street from me and i have known her since we were in 1st grade. she is like my sister and we speak everyday. no matter how many fights or disagreements we've had, we always stopped what we were doing when the other needed one another. it is unfortunate you and your bestfriend share this destructive behavior, but deep down if you didn't really know the outcome, you wouldn't be seeking help. i know you love your friend deeply, but no one can change his mind until he comes to the realization of his behaviors.

as i mentioned with my situation with my boyfriend, we are both broken and need to heal ourselves before we can love not only a partner but ourselves. it is time for you to begin your healing process and move forward with your life and learn to love yourself. there aren only two outcomes of addiction and that's life or death, no in between. it is up to you to decide. as i am not an addict, i can only the imagine the struggle. but i've had many, many days where all i wanted to do was go to sleep and never wake up. but i decided to go on, and so can you. i wish you the best. only you have the power over your mind.
jw21
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer