New to AA

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

New to AA

Postby WALSB21 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi All,

I have a problem with alcohol. I can go months without drinking but then once I start drinking I can't stop. I drink till I blackout. Everytime!!! I become a person who I am not. I ignore calls and texts from my family when I drink. I stay out all night. My girlfriend and parents had enough of my benders. I am getting worse. I fight cravings constantly. I have a 3 year old daughter who I love. I am starting AA this week. Do I belong in AA? Will it help me with my binge drinking. I want to stop but it's hard.
WALSB21
Forums Newcomer

Re: New to AA

Postby Brock » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Welcome here, the questions you ask we have all asked before.

At first it is very difficult to believe the cravings you speak about will disappear completely, but they do. It takes a bit of will power and guts at first, and some people even believe that's what AA is about, go to meetings for moral support and tough it out. But that is not the right idea at all, when you go along to a meeting which is somewhere the people will make you welcome and at ease, no rules nothing to sign come or go as you please, keep an eye out for those who speak about the steps they took, and look comfortable in sobriety. Those are the ones to follow, and the steps we take are much easier in practice than they look on paper, you will laugh at the fact you used to crave booze and have a cool life without it.

The main text which we call the big book, you can just Google 'AA Big Book' and have a read, it's pretty confusing in parts and not particularly easy to understand, but chapters like 'The Doctor's Opinion,' and 'More About Alcoholism' make sense to the new person.

Ask any questions you have at the meetings and here as you go along, this program will work wonders if you give it a fair chance, and it won't mean you end up not having fun or not going where alcohol is served, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:29 pm

I want to stop but it's hard.

That is powerlessness as we call in AA. The mind will always trick us into taking that first drink. The 12 steps of AA help us have a psychic change so we don't succumb to those peculiar mental twists.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:03 am

Welcome to e-AA walsb21 :)

Getting to lots of meetings, looking for a sponsor (someone to take you through the 12 steps) and listening to how others in AA stay sober; those things are what worked for me. When I came to AA, I was willing to work the steps, I think that's what saved me from death from alcohol, which is what would have happened, the way I was going.

The program for living, as outlined in the book ' Alcoholics Anonymous' is a really good way to live.

It works so, may as will give it a go!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer