New to this forum, but not to AA.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

New to this forum, but not to AA.

Postby Janet1855 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:31 am

I'm so glad to have found this e-AA group. What a great supplement to my AA program! Where I currently live (in my old home town) there is but one AA meeting place, and it meets 3 days a week M.W. and F. at 7:00 pm. I try to go twice a week or more. Sundays and Wednesdays I go to a new Church, even though I am an agnostic! I simply take what I need at the church, give an offering, and leave the rest. I love the Wednesday night dinner and the people at this new Church, and the singing. And I really like my AA Home Group that meets 3 days a week and is just one street over from me. I relapsed in April 2016, after almost a year of sober time. Unfortunately, since 2014 it has taken me two hospital detoxing times, and one 30 day Psych Ward stint, and my almost dying in May 2016 (from having lost all my potassium and sodium from a binge) to get back on track, and back into my local AA group. I have been sober, (this time) since May 4, 2016. I am feeling much better, and am much happier in my sobriety, than I have been in a long time. For the first time in my AA experience, I have been kind of bullied and criticized by a fellow female AA member at my home group, and it bothers me, and it is not helpful to my sobriety. Most recently, I missed the Friday night meeting, after being humiliated by her at the Wednesday night AA meeting. So, I went on a quest, as what to do...I hate conflict. That is when, I found the e-AA Group! I began reading the posts, and especially some of the posts relating to problems with fellow AA's...Wow, has it ever been helpful! Ann's post with 34 years comments...whirling dervishes...and bleeding deacons, and the posting of a writing by Vincent Collins (a Jesuit Priest.) I found some peace within after reading those things, and I found a way to deal with situations, that I have felt, that I've recently been in (within my home group.) Thank you all for that, and thank you for e-AA.
Janet1855
Forums Enthusiast

Re: New to this forum, but not to AA.

Postby Feeya » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:10 am

Hi Janet,
Welcome to e-AA! Glad you found this forum and glad it has already been helpful!
Congratulations on your new found sobriety and good luck to you!

Feeya
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby PuppyEars » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:15 am

Welcome Janet. My sober date is in early May too (except a different year) :D I relate to your detox/psyche ward/hospitalization part and glad to read you didn't mix in jails. I have detoxed in a jail cell and "being at the jumping off place" is an understatement when I recall that experience.
Like you I was also once agnostic except, I wouldn't step foot near a church. I admire your strength to keep coming back to a place you are not totally on board with. Shows you have a door open enough to allow some willingness for growth to seep in.
Hope to read more of your experience, strength and hope!
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby Janet1855 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:00 am

Thanks puppy and all the rest for your input.
Janet1855
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:29 am

Janet1855 wrote: For the first time in my AA experience, I have been kind of bullied and criticized by a fellow female AA member at my home group, and it bothers me, and it is not helpful to my sobriety.

That happened to me too. A 'foaming at the mouth' type called me "Mr Russian Roulette" and said that my sobriety was risky. Why? Because I have booze in my house (for Mrs Tosh or guests). He even quoted the Big Book at me (out of context) and said "We recoil from it as if a hot flame" (or words to that effect). He obviously forgot the bit that precedes that line!

And he was very passionate about it all; said not just to me, but to the whole meeting.

He has fifteen years sobriety too.

I don't let it worry me; he obviously still has the mind of an alcoholic if he feels that way about booze (the end of Chapter 7 explains why).

If I know in my heart that I'm good with what I'm doing and how I'm living, it really doesn't matter what others think or say.

And it might be helpful to your sobriety. In life we have to deal with difficult people; someone difficult in A.A. is a great place to learn how to do that.

Mrs Tosh is my No 1 teacher of patience and tolerance though she'd probably kick me if she knew I just told you that. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Janet1855 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:17 am

"In life we have to deal with difficult people; someone difficult in A.A. is a great place to learn how to do that."

Thank you for your reply Tosh. And I do believe you are right about "learning to deal with difficult people"...and isolation from the world and drinking ain't it ! And like you said, "AA is a great place to learn how to do that."

"Mrs Tosh is my No 1 teacher of patience and tolerance though she'd probably kick me if she knew I just told you that."

LMHO, Tosh.
Janet1855
Forums Enthusiast

Postby D'oh » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi Janet, and Welcome.

The Forum has been a Great Supplement to my Meeting Ritual.

Janet1855 wrote:
For the first time in my AA experience, I have been kind of bullied and criticized by a fellow female AA member at my home group, and it bothers me, and it is not helpful to my sobriety.

Wow, that brings me back. And even this time in, 20 years later. But I was at the Birthday Meeting in his group and helped celebrate his 30th AA B Day. Made me think "It takes all kinds, but we are all after the same goal" 1 Day at a Time.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Return to For the Newcomer