WANT TO KNOW

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: WANT TO KNOW

Postby PaigeB » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:51 am

I hope by now you have a Big Book! I loved to read A Vision For YOU... We have a sufficient substitute (and more) it is Fellowship of Alcoholics... they are the bright spot in our days!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Db1105 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:21 am

Welcome.

I hope you had a chance to pick up the book Alcoholics Anonymous also known as The Big Book. It will answer many of your questions. You can read it online here:

http://www.aa.org
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby KathyAnne » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:21 am

Hello math 101 and welcome you'll find lots of help & support here. We may not know you but we care that your sober
one day at a time, keep coming back no matter what.
KathyAnne
Forums Contributor

Postby math101 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:15 am

This is 'wonderful'.
Am still not quite where you all are, WENT ON ANOTHER DRUNK AGAIN, but I can see where my future home will be, 'AMONG YOU'. I WANT THAT, I WANT WHAT YOU HAVE, I WANT TO LIVE.
math101
Forums Newcomer

Postby math101 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:50 am

Yes PaigeB, I did buy The Big Book, but it has been sitting unopened. I see very clearly what I need, but I keep questioning, 1) am I strong as you all are, 2) do I deserve to be sober. You see, for decades, I have been punishing myself, and it has become a way of life. I want to, but find it so difficult to stop punishing myself.
math101
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:51 am

Don't let the fact that you went on another drunk get you down, many of us had problems like that at the start, you will make a commitment as you say when you decide to stop punishing yourself.

That big book on the shelf is not easy to read, even when you decide you want what AA has, some chapters like 'The Doctor's Opinion' and 'More About Alcoholism' aren’t too hard to understand, but with most of the rest a little guidance is suggested. Perhaps a sponsor, and another thing I like, is go to you tube, type in 'AA Big Book Study Joe and Charlie,' it is very long 10 hours plus, so listen to a little at a time, as they take you through the book.
I see very clearly what I need, but I keep questioning, 1) am I strong as you all are, 2) do I deserve to be sober.

On the first question, a very common mistake. Yes it does take a bit of strength and guts at first, but the sooner you understand what's in that book and do what they recommend, something which can take as short as a couple of weeks depending on what you want, the idea of being strong is kicked out the window. You will find a strength you didn't know you had, and the obsession to drink will disappear, the same book says -
We will see that our new
attitude toward liquor has been given us without any
thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is
the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are
we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had
been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and
protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the
problem has been removed. It does not exist for us.

On the second question, if you don't think you deserve it you won't work for it, I hope and pray you change your mind on that, it's a cool life sober, not a nerd life either we have fun, all the best.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer