WANT TO KNOW

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

WANT TO KNOW

Postby math101 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:49 am

Am new to AA. Yesterday I went to my first meeting. I HAVE A QUESTION. Four days ago I called the AA helpline. The kind gentleman who answered my call, has been giving me good advise, and has shared his personal phone number with me. We talk everyday. I like that. But for decades, no one has been that nice to me, so I find it strange. PLEASE ASSURE ME THAT THIS IS NOT STRANGE. Thank you.
math101
Forums Newcomer

Re: WANT TO KNOW

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:38 am

Welcome Math. People in AA are ex-drunks. We know how you feel. We've been there. So we just open the door and try to help any new person who wants to get sober and try our way of life. We give complete strangers rides to meetings. We all had terrible lives and people hated us.

But, after working the AA program, we became different people.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:55 am

no one has been that nice to me,

Thats the compassion we show toward our fellow men and women. We know how it feels best of all we have used the 12 steps to overcome the malady. Have you run into the "Drunk falling into a hole" story?

DRUNK FELL IN A HOLE AND COULDN'T GET OUT

A businessman went by. The drunk called out for help. The businessman threw him some money and told him, "Get yourself a ladder." But the drunk \could not find a ladder in this hole he was in.

A doctor walked by. The drunk said, "Help, I can't get out." The doctor gave him drugs and said, "Take this, it will relieve the pain," The drunk said thanks, but when the pills ran out, he was still in the hole.

A renowned psychiatrist rode by and heard the drunk's cries for help, He stooped and said, "How did you get there? Were you born there? Were you put there by your parents? Tell me about yourself, it will alleviate your sense of loneliness." So the drunk talked with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he said he'd be back next week. The drunk thanked him, but he was still in his hole.

A priest came by. The drunk called for help. The priest gave him a Bible and said I'll say a prayer for you. He got down on his knees and prayed for the drunk, then left. The drunk was very grateful, he read the
Bible, but he was still stuck in that hole.

A recovering alcoholic happened to be passing by. The drunk cried out, "Hey, help me, I'm stuck in this hole." Right away, the recovering alcoholic jumped in the hole with him. The drunk said, "What are you doing? Now we're both stuck here." But the recovering alcoholic said, "It's okay, I've been here before, I know how to get out."
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby math101 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:18 am

Thank you SF and AV, you both have given me hope.
math101
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:07 am

A recovering alcoholic happened to be passing by. The drunk cried out, "Hey, help me, I'm stuck in this hole." Right away, the recovering alcoholic jumped in the hole with him. The drunk said, "What are you doing? Now we're both stuck here." But the recovering alcoholic said, "It's okay, I've been here before, I know how to get out."

Good story! I might have to use that someday!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:45 am

Welcome Math. Rest assured, it's not strange at all. Daily contact with others in the program and those still struggling to find their way is one of the highlights of my life.

We're not all the same, and I doubt everyone you meet will resonate as strongly with you as this first fellow has, but we all care and are committed to be there when you or anyone else reaches out for help.

So, keep reaching. There is hope.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:51 pm

I remember my first contact with people in AA as clearly as if it were yesterday. I received total compassion, empathy, and felt a common bond and kinship. I also just as clearly remember my feelings and emotions prior to that first contact. I never want anyone to experience the loneliness and hopelessness that was coursing through my veins at that time and when I encounter someone that is experiencing those same feelings, I can't help but reach out and let them know that they are not alone and that there is indeed a way out. Paying back what I received upon my first contact with AA is nothing short of a true joy and just one of the miracles of this program. Glad you are here! Welcome.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby math101 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Just came back from my second AA meeting, and the question keeps arising, "WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE, AND WHY ARE THEY SO CARING." Of course its beautiful, and of course I like it, BUT I NEVER THOUGHT ANYONE WOULD EVER CARE. Thanks Layne. Its strange, new, and nice, just to know that someone cares.
math101
Forums Newcomer

Postby Layne » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:15 pm

How could we not? To do so would be to deny our very selves.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Once one Alcoholic, implant into the mind of another Alcoholic, the True Nature of his Malady.

Math, we were all once in the same place that you are. We know the Hell that we had to go through to get through the Doors of AA. Most you will find in the Program will be that kind, because we have gone through it Our self's

Good Luck on your Path, you have already taken the Hardest Step.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby math101 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:06 am

Off to work soon. Like to start my day by thanking you all.
For decades my ONLY connection was a substance, alcohol. I had given up the desire to make any human connections. But I think I have found a way, a place, where there are who were like me, am coming there tonight, to my third AA meeting. Thank you again.
math101
Forums Newcomer

Postby lanka2x » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:04 am

Sounds like you have connected with a solid and caring group. At some point soon another will come in for the first time, newly sober. If you appreciate those who were welcoming to you the way to demonstrate that is to try and make the newer person feel comfortable and welcomed.

As important as being welcomed and made to feel safe was to you, it will be just as important to them.
lanka2x
Forums Newcomer

Postby Tosh » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:22 am

math101 wrote:Am new to AA. Yesterday I went to my first meeting. I HAVE A QUESTION. Four days ago I called the AA helpline. The kind gentleman who answered my call, has been giving me good advise, and has shared his personal phone number with me. We talk everyday. I like that. But for decades, no one has been that nice to me, so I find it strange. PLEASE ASSURE ME THAT THIS IS NOT STRANGE. Thank you.

It's normal; we're daft like that in A.A.. Early on in recovery an ex-professional football player (I don't follow football so didn't know him from 'Adam') gave me a hug.

I thought that was mega weird; in my background (ex British military) we DO NOT hug.

To be honest, I quite liked it, but don't tell anyone I told you that.

We're a friendly lot; we have to be. Isolating ourselves from others is all part of the illness of alcoholism.

I'm glad you're here.

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:48 am

Hello Math101 and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic

math101 wrote:Am new to AA. Yesterday I went to my first meeting. I HAVE A QUESTION. Four days ago I called the AA helpline. The kind gentleman who answered my call, has been giving me good advise, and has shared his personal phone number with me. We talk everyday. I like that. But for decades, no one has been that nice to me, so I find it strange. PLEASE ASSURE ME THAT THIS IS NOT STRANGE. Thank you.

If you think that is strange, well stick around, that is just the tip of the strange iceberg...LOL... Never thought I would be hanging out on LA’s skid row and now I head down every chance I get. Who knew??????
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi Math and welcome.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the AA fellowship. I experienced AA's crazy wonderful sober drunks the same way when I was new and still do. The outside world can sometimes feel cold, lonely, and uncaring but I've never felt that way "in the rooms". So glad you found us.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to For the Newcomer