Have 19 Years of Sobriety and this is how I did it.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Have 19 Years of Sobriety and this is how I did it.

Postby beginningagain7 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:16 am

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation---some fact of my life ----unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms. I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Acceptance Was The Answer, pg. 417

Sept. 12, 1997 is the day that I started my journey to recovery, which at times has been hard because of what life has thrown my way. But with the help of this program I have been able to stay away from the first drink.

When my sponsor started to help me on this journey that was the first place he took me to in the Big Book. He told me that was the key to open up this journey to recovery and doing the Steps. I have found out for me that was the key to this journey to recovery.

Step One: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol---that our lives had become unmanageable.

He told me that anyone can admit that we can admitted they are powerless, or have have problem with alcohol. That it was also important to accept it. For by accepting it we are more willing to move forward.

Step Two: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Have to accept that we cannot do it by ourselves, mainly because we have tried and failed. So we need to accept the fact that we need a power greater than ourselves.

Step Three: Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

We need to accept the fact if we are going to turn to a Power greater than ourselves we need to turn our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him. Not my way of understanding my God but your way of coming up with a way to understand God.

Step Four: Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Accept the fact that we do have character defects and they need to be address and dealt with.

Step Five: Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

By accepting doing that we are in a way releasing a quilt that we have been holding inside of us. It opens the door for moving still forward in this program.

Step Six: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

We need to accept the fact that we tried to do it on our own and failed.

Step Seven: Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

We need to accept that developing humility we will be able to keep our ego in check and more willing to let our Higher Power take care of life's problems that life likes to throw at us.

Step Eight: Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

We need to accept the fact that we did harm others in our drinking.

Step Nine: Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Accept the fact after we made our list that it is important to make amends to those we have hurt or harm during out drinking careers.

Step Ten: Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

Accept the fact that we are not perfect and we do make mistakes and we need to correct those mistakes if possible.

Step Eleven: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

We need to accept that this program is one day at a time program so we need to stay in contact with God as we understood him. It is a reminder to us that we are powerless.

Step Twelve: Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

We need to accept that this isn't a I program but a we program and we need to reach out to others that are going through to things we have already gone through.

This is how I have managed to get 19 years of sobriety.

I also like to mention that it is the Twelve Step that is the reason that E-AA was founded to reach out to others that are suffering like we did.
Beginningagain4
John T.
beginningagain7
Forums Contributor

Re: Have 19 Years of Sobriety and this is how I did it.

Postby Mike O » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks for sharing this. It's helped me stay sober today.

Acceptance was the Answer has long been the most inspirational story in the BB for me. I return to it often.
:)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:58 am

Sounds like my journey!

Can you go through the Traditions too?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby rohitpant1973 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:42 am

I am Rohit ,age 43, started drinking since 24, but since last 6 months lost control after taking first peg and caused embracement to my follow workers, two days back I finally decide to quit forever, started reading big book. My problem is I am posted inveryremote town and I desperately need guidance through chat or Facebook . Can anyone help? My fb profile is (Edited by moderator)
Last edited by rohitpant1973 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
rohitpant1973
Forums Newcomer

Postby Duke » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks John, and congratulations. Acceptance had been the key for me as well as keeping it simple. I can never hear this enough.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Congratulations on 19 years of sobriety!

Beautiful share. Thanks!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby beginningagain7 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:53 pm

http://www.e-aa.org/chat_register.php This is the link to our online meetings.

Has for doing the Traditions I have not used them for my recovery. I used them when I chaired f2f meetings. And being the Secretary here I use them.
Beginningagain4
John T.
beginningagain7
Forums Contributor

Postby 4thDimension » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Congrats on 19 years!!!

And thank you for the daily reminder that the problem is me.
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:37 am

rohitpant1973 wrote:I am Rohit ,age 43, started drinking since 24, but since last 6 months lost control after taking first peg and caused embracement to my follow workers, two days back I finally decide to quit forever, started reading big book. My problem is I am posted inveryremote town and I desperately need guidance through chat or Facebook . Can anyone help? My fb profile is (Edited by moderator)

FB/online is great, except you can hide behind the BS curtain and no matter how anyone tries to help you they will never see the real you. In person meetings and counseling is how you get right and start really getting real with the issues.
In 1989 when I was 23 we had no online capability and it was either in person AA and or in person insane asylum and I picked AA meetings because I was free. So I have the experience and I have the years to stand by what I said. You have got to really want this in order for your past to start to fade as the community sees in your actions and not by your words. The Big Book is a great start and if you read the first 165 pages I believe you'll find yourself in some section of that book.

I've been labeled a lot over the years and I can say I am still 100% sober and many of them have gone back out to work on the resentments because I was strong enough to call out the issues and not tip toe around the issues.

get help and work on you and eventually this too shall pass.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:45 am

I've never taken credit for my sobriety because I have enough ego and really it wasn't me who got sober as much as the opportunity to get sober because I kept winding up at the stoop of the AA hall. I give credit to all those world wide I met over the years who helped me get into a place I could feel comfortable in my own skin with help of the steps and the literature with a heavy dose of ES&H from the members in the halls. I say this so I don't forget my last drink and where I came from because I am one drink away if I slip into an area I should not be in as I am not cured and my desire to drink is not around today.
This show only ends when I am pushed into the cooker and my ashes come out on the other end. :lol:
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer