New Member Here

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

New Member Here

Postby Roman James » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm from Southern California with 29 days of sobriety. Its a rough road. Looking forward to interacting with other members for motivation and advice.

Thanks, Roman.
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Re: New Member Here

Postby positrac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:08 am

Lived in Northern Cali and after rehab I can tell you that reality set in when attending a meeting in Berkley with people using at the back door and getting 24 hour chips! Used to be good recovery out in So Cal as one of my first AA meetings was down in Imperial Beach (IB) and it was a rude awakening for me and the journey I was embarking on.

1 November 1989 It does work if we work it and keep coming back.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:11 am

Looking forward to interacting with other members for motivation and advice.

It does get better. But of course like any other thing, we have to put in some effort. Meetings, working the 12 steps using a sponsor/mentor and then actively involved in service work like running the meetings, being a district rep (some position) and other activities. All this help us to be on a the beam.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Larryp713 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:39 am

Welcome Roman. I know what you mean about how rough it is in early sobriety, in particular when you haven't yet replaced it with something else. I needed to get very busy and make recovery my priority. When I did that, I soon had that spiritual experience described in the big book. But it is no easy. I needed to get a sponsor right away, talk to him and start working. Service is a great way to get connected. I wish you well, and hope you keep coming back. It is definitely worth it. Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby Roberth » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:14 am

Hello Roman and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Congratz on 30 days…….hope to meet you during my travels in SoCal. You can find me on the 2nd Friday or the 3rd Saturday at the Skid Row Drifters meeting. We meet at 7:30 PM at the park at 6th and Gladys in L.A.s skid row.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Roman James » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Thank you everyone.
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Welcome, Roman! Like Avaneesh said it truly gets easier. I have found that my worst day sober is still better than my best day drunk and there is absolutely no situation that drinking improves. If we "cave in" to that one little first drink, the phenomenon of craving kicks in and we are off to the races and likely things will go downward quite quickly. I didn't have a chance to read the other posts here so I apologize if repeating but in front of our basic text "Alcoholics Anonymous" a/k/a "The Big Book" there is a chapter called The Doctor's Opinion where the author explains the disease very well (the phenomenon of craving and the mental obsession.) Other excellent parts of the book to start with are "More About Alcoholism" and "There is a Solution".

I KNOW u CAN do this thing because I did! What is important is working the steps with the guidance of another who has done so and finding a higher power if you have not yet done so.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roman James » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:20 pm

Lali wrote:Welcome, Roman! Like Avaneesh said it truly gets easier. I have found that my worst day sober is still better than my best day drunk and there is absolutely no situation that drinking improves. If we "cave in" to that one little first drink, the phenomenon of craving kicks in and we are off to the races and likely things will go downward quite quickly. I didn't have a chance to read the other posts here so I apologize if repeating but in front of our basic text "Alcoholics Anonymous" a/k/a "The Big Book" there is a chapter called The Doctor's Opinion where the author explains the disease very well (the phenomenon of craving and the mental obsession.) Other excellent parts of the book to start with are "More About Alcoholism" and "There is a Solution".

I KNOW u CAN do this thing because I did! What is important is working the steps with the guidance of another who has done so and finding a higher power if you have not yet done so.

Thanks Lali.
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Postby aquest » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:59 am

Hello!! I just join this group today and I'm hoping I can get the help and someone to talk with me. I live in St. Louis Mo. I had been clean for 3 years. I've have relapsed for the past year and I see my life going back into a bad place. Need some help.
aquest
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Welcome aquest! Glad you found us! We tend to be a pretty active board, so grab a virtual coffee and make yourself at home - because you are HOME!

Check out some other threads and keep posting! I am sure others will be along soon! :D
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:29 am

Welcome, aquest! Paige is right - this is quite an active place though there tends to be little activity over the weekend, unfortunately. Can I ask you aquest what you are doing now to stay sober?

Please feel free to browse around to other threads in this forum in the meantime. You will find that there is a lot of valuable information here and the folks here love the opportunity to assist newcomers. You will also see there are the occasional squabbles between members - we are just like a family!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby aquest » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:36 am

Hello!! Lali nice to meet you. I haven't did anything yet except joined this forum so that i could talk to someone. I received several email that were so encouraging . I'm going to look and see if there is a meeting near my home I can attend tonight.
aquest
Forums Newcomer

Postby aquest » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:44 am

Hello too you also Paige!! I I'm glad I'm back and I'm going to take this a day at a time. Also i need to find a sponsor asap. I'm going to find a meeting tonight and hopefully i'll enjoy and meet some people that I can talk to.
aquest
Forums Newcomer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:00 am

Hi aquest,
I've been to meetings in STL. Very nice. Some are quite large though. Tell someone you are new.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:17 am

E-aa has these Forums, but we also have email and live chat meetings which you need to register for separately. Check it out http://www.e-aa.org/talk.php
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to For the Newcomer