New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Postby jessica11 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi
So a bit of background on me.
ive been drinking since probably 11-12 when i was 14-15 i found cannabis, so i stopped drinking because the high that i got was much better than drink, but when i started noticing that i was getting paranoia from smoking i stopped but needed something to fill the void, so i returned to drink. im 28 now and have been a high funsctioning alcoholic for the past 8 years. I have had breaks of about a week, but always find myself back at the bottle, unfortunatly my mother is an alcoholic, and i live with her, which makes the task of giving up harder. im at the point again when i know i need to give up as i wake up in the morning feeling crap, and then realising that ive spoken to people on facebook that i shouldnt have, im afraid to get into a relationship as im hyper aware of everything , which makes me paranoid, like i was when on cannabis..:( i want so much to be in a relationship, but the alcoholism just makes me feel worthless.
jessica11
Forums Newcomer

Re: new member

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Welcome to e-AA. I would suggest you read the big book at http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous and also visit one of the local AA gatherings and see if you can trust the program could help you too. There are some great stories you can read for example you could read Bill W our co-founder story right in front of the book to get a glimpse of how low the person could go but stage a recovery from this seemingly hopeless state of mind and body and be of use to others.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi Jess,

Your story is alot like mine. In my case, dope was alot easier to get than alcohol for the under aged; besides not getting sick. Then at 18, I didn't want a felony so I went back to drinking. I came in to AA at age 26; and been sober for 31 years. You can have a sober life.

You can find a meeting here: http://www.e-aa.org/links/index.php
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Welcome Jessica. I had the same experience of starting to feel paranoia after years of smoking weed, alcohol was the opposite and it made me feel fine. But being an alcoholic I progressed from drinking every night to starting at lunch time, I had opportunities to join AA all through this time and tried it twice, but made excuses. Finally I couldn't survive without drinking first thing in the morning, and the rest of each day, the most unhappy, broke, and lonely walking skeleton ever seen.

Now I couldn't be happier, this thing works miracles if you really give it a try, I did it to stop drinking, but found many side effects including renewed confidence, and peace of mind better than I ever had. We have a good few ladies here as well, some of them quite young, I am sure you will get encouragement and advise from them. Living with a practicing alcoholic will be a challenge, but checking out some meetings in your area would be the right first step, ask any questions here as well, best of luck.
Last edited by Brock on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Lali » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi, Jessica. I'm sorry I am so late in welcoming you. How are you doing? I would suggest that you close your facebook account. I am so glad I didn't have access to a computer when I was so deep in my addiction. I did a lot of drunk dialing but the only witness to my craziness was the one person on the other line. I cannot imagine how badly I might have embarrassed myself in such a public forum!

We are all glad you are here!

Oh and now potential employers check applicants' facebook pages these days.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer