New to the forum

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: New to the forum

Postby PuppyEars » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:03 am

Yo Adam glad you checked in and happy to see you made it to a meeting.
Maybe a next step would be to get your hand up and put it out into the universe that you would like if someone could sit face to face and read the book with you. All sorts of great things happen when an alcoholic asks for help. As a matter of fact, we hit snags when we stop asking for help no matter how spiritual we think we are living. Keep us updated.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:05 am

Hard to admit, Glass in hand we have warped our minds into such an act for destructive drinking that only an act of Providence could remove it.

I am grateful today to have been granted that act of Providence. Yes and twice. You have been granted it also, when you walked through the doors. The rest of life will happen as it is suppose to happen, if you ask for help.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Larryp713 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:51 am

Awesome start, Adam. If you combine that with positive action, I think you have a good shot to having that spiritual experience this program promises. The actions I took, which finally led me to my own miracle, is asking an active member to sponsor me, calling him and doing what he told me worked for him, and making recovery a priority in my life. More than going to meetings, I found that getting to know the folks in my area was helpful. I also found opportunities to serve - helping set up for a meeting, emptying the trash, participating in potlucks and other social events, and taking meetings to detox centers. It really helped create a firm foundation for my recovery, and if I keep actively participating, I am free from the desire to drink. Best wishes, and keep coming back. Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:39 am

Hi, Mada. Troy suggested you start with the Doctor's Opinion and More About Alcoholism in the Big Book. I always suggest There is A Solution as a starting place as well.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby tyg » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Hi Mada73 welcome to the forum. On the bright side, you are in a good place and have come to the right spot if you want to stop drinking and have permanent sobriety and some very content living.

If it wasn't for the hopelessness and desperation of my life and all the troubles drinking caused, I wouldn't have come to the realization that I am incapable of changing these circumstances and best get some outside help. I would never have been willing to go through the 12 Steps with another alcoholic let alone become a part of the Fellowship without utter despair. I'm glad my drinking forced me into trying something completely different and thoroughly do it regardless of all the reservations I had for one reason or another. These 12 Steps allow me to see how alcoholism affects me personally spiritually, mentally and physically. Today, I have an awesome way of living that allows me to go anywhere booze is served and not be bothered by it.

Hope you won't be a stranger here and look forward to reading more of you.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby Mike O » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:19 am

Adam,

Great progress.

Reading the book is the way to go, but...get started on the 12 steps. There's absolutely no reason to wait.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:43 am

Glad you're here Adam! :)
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer