I'm a Noob

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: I'm a Noob

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:36 pm

I was an Orthodox and Catholic Christian for a few years but kind of lost my faith. I suppose I am a very interested agnostic and I am sometimes a weak theist and other times a weak atheist. I am certainly open to a higher power. I'm not quite sure what that means for me in practical terms, though. :)

Being openminded as well as honest and willing in AA program of recovery means quite a bit in practical terms My ESH is that alcoholics who can't or won't practice these particular principles may stay sober but really don't ever really achieve or experience the kind of happy, joyous and free lifestyle that sober alcoholics who do seem to enjoy on a daily basis.

I am also a former Catholic who lost my religion in my teens, eventually became a strong atheist in my early 20's, finally got sober in my late 20's and discovered the concept of spirituality without religion in AA. It seemed to be exactly what I was searching for but didn't know I was until found it. My concept of a supreme entity, i.e. "higher power", "God as I understand God", has evolved over time and doesn't really resemble any concepts taught by religion but my concept works for me and seems to work for my HP too.... :wink: Today, and for a long time now, I have resolved all of my resentments about my Catholic upbringing by working through the Steps and am at peace with myself and the Catholic church. There are lots and lots of former Catholics in AA.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer