Hi all, New member here

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Hi all, New member here

Postby niall » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:11 am

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my message.

So, the reason i am here is that i feel that i am not living my life to its fullest or using my body to its full potential. I drink beer, a lot of beer. and consistently too. probably 6 to 10 beers a night. i feel like i dont drink to get drunk, since i can switch to light beers, drink the same amount and feel no intoxication over a night. I just like the taste and i guess the habit is a big thing. never drink spirits or wine. I am quite fit and healthy and i drinking does not get in the way of my relationship or my business. I dont get hang overs and i am at work every day at 6.30am

I know it sounds like i am making excuses, but i am not that guy, i accept that i am a functioning alcoholic

I would like to get back into some martial arts or boxing, but every day after work, i drink beer and lose motivation. My question is, what would be a good stepping stone to break the habit ? i was thinking of staying dry on say a monday and wednesday for example if i was doing a martial arts class.

would that be a good starting point ? r do you think there is a bigger issue here?

thanks in advance
niall
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hi all, New member here

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:24 am

If you are alcoholic, then you probably need to read the book alcoholics anonymous and arrive a conclusion, we can only help you understand the disease, total abstinence is what is suggested. Question of if we could drink on certain days and abstain on other days is out of the equation.

Starting point would be to visit one of the local AA meetings and hear people share their experience, start reading the book alcoholics anonymous, finding a sponsor and start working the 12 steps.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PuppyEars » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:45 am

Welcome. Get a motivational coach or try therapy.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:10 am

If trying to moderate is an issue - for instance, rather than just going for your Monday and Wednesday plan, you have to come to an aa forum, you may want to take a closer look at your drinking. As was said here before, you could always do some reading on the subject - the book Alcoholics Anonymous is available free online. You might also want to drop in on a meeting to see what our program is about. Look for similarities with the people there rather than the differences.

Good luck.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi Niall, if youre wondering if youre an alcoholic you probably are an alcoholic. My hubby is not a drinker so hes never wondered if he is an alcoholic. My son is not a pill taker so hes never wondered whether hes a drug addict.
If youre an alcoholic - whether a small alcoholic who drinks 2 glasses of wine at a time and have reached your limit, a medium alcoholic who can finish a bottle of whisky a night, a large alcoholic who can finish a case of beers a night or an extra large alcoholic who polishes all the liquor in the house in a night, only abstinence will work. Whether you get or don't get babalas, shakes, and the other oopsie things that follows as you continue drinking ..... only abstinence will work.
So sorry my dear friend but once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. Whether we're 3 years old or 300 years old. It doesn't change. The only thing that changes is when we go to AA for help, start working the 12 step program, grow spiritually and by doing this we find and LIVE the solution and become happy, joyous and free. Still alcoholics but now we are alcoholics with a solution. :D
Hope this help.

Bed time for old ladies. Nite nite, off to my happy place...
Mwah Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sobrietyandjudo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:16 am

Welcome!
I'm in the beginning of my sobriety and I feel amazing.
As far as martial arts, yes!! Do it, it's a good way to clear your mind, get confidence and be humbled.
Might I recommend Judo or Jujitsu. After a long session of rolling you will feel renewed.
Sobrietyandjudo
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:08 am

niall wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my message.

So, the reason i am here is that i feel that i am not living my life to its fullest or using my body to its full potential. I drink beer, a lot of beer. and consistently too. probably 6 to 10 beers a night. i feel like i dont drink to get drunk, since i can switch to light beers, drink the same amount and feel no intoxication over a night. I just like the taste and i guess the habit is a big thing. never drink spirits or wine. I am quite fit and healthy and i drinking does not get in the way of my relationship or my business. I dont get hang overs and i am at work every day at 6.30am

I know it sounds like i am making excuses, but i am not that guy, i accept that i am a functioning alcoholic

I would like to get back into some martial arts or boxing, but every day after work, i drink beer and lose motivation. My question is, what would be a good stepping stone to break the habit ? i was thinking of staying dry on say a monday and wednesday for example if i was doing a martial arts class.

would that be a good starting point ? r do you think there is a bigger issue here?

thanks in advance

Welcome and I would say that something has you wondering the current plight you seem to be facing. So what are you willing to do about it? You can go AA and engage in the steps and learn how to re-manage life without booze and or other mind altering things...... OR keep drinking as you might not be ready to get sober just yet. These are choices you have to make and decide which path to take.

The only true thing I can tell you is that if you decide to get sober and understand that you are totally powerless over alcohol that you have to do if for you and you alone for this to work and for you to have success living life different.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer