Can I go back

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Can I go back

Postby Lali » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:26 am

Many people seem to be able to work successfully while in active addiction. But alcoholism is progressive and we often find that our work starts suffering due to our drinking (my boss called me in and stated that he was seeing me going through a downward spiral) and depending on the employer, they may actually try to assist you in getting help and holding your job while you go to rehab or begin attending meetings and working this program, (fortunately mine did) OR many employers will terminate your employment. Does that answer your question?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby DonaldDuck » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:42 am

Well, here's an update.

Monday - Dry
Tuesday - Wet
Wednesday - Dry
Thursday - Wet
Friday - Dry (until 12.30pm, (just after midnight) then I had a small drink after staying sober to pick one of my son's up from a party) I class Friday as Dry as it was technically Saturday when I drank.
Saturday - Wet
Sunday - Wet

I'm going to try and stay dry until Friday after work. (4 days) If I do, that will be the longest I've stayed dry that long in ages.

That's got to be something right?
DonaldDuck
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:43 am

DonaldDuck wrote:Well, here's an update.

Monday - Dry
Tuesday - Wet
Wednesday - Dry
Thursday - Wet
Friday - Dry (until 12.30pm, (just after midnight) then I had a small drink after staying sober to pick one of my son's up from a party) I class Friday as Dry as it was technically Saturday when I drank.
Saturday - Wet
Sunday - Wet

I'm going to try and stay dry until Friday after work. (4 days) If I do, that will be the longest I've stayed dry that long in ages.

Your freaking week would have been sober 100% if you worked AA program.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Reborn » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:03 am

DonaldDuck wrote:Well, here's an update.

Monday - Dry
Tuesday - Wet
Wednesday - Dry
Thursday - Wet
Saturday - Wet
Sunday - Wet

I used to think just like this..."well I've stayed sober for a week...I deserve a drink!!" Normal people don't do these types of things...just FYI.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Lali » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:26 pm

I asked before in another post and don't believe that you answered. It's not so much the ability to moderate = although a real alcoholic cannot moderate - maybe once I a while, but never consistently for a period of time. My question was "How do you feel on your dry days?" Do you feel restless, irritable and discontent" or can you do other things on dry days without a thought of alcohol? It's all about how you FEEL when not drinking that tells one whether or not they are alcoholic.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:56 pm

Friday - Dry (until 12.30pm, (just after midnight) then I had a small drink after staying sober to pick one of my son's up from a party) I class Friday as Dry as it was technically Saturday when I drank

Normal drinkers don't rationalize & justify drinking one at night.
Normal drinkers don't obsess about drinking.

Normal drinkers don't generally think about alcohol in the same way I do!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:54 pm

HI DD

Does your wife know you are drinking while driving with your children in the car? Does your wife object?

I really hope and pray you don't kill or maim a member of your family or anybody else's family because you think it's okay drink and drive, but the facts are over 50,000 innocent people get killed by drunk drivers every year in this country.

If you want to put the plug in the jug and get sober, there's a couple of hundred years of collective experience, hope, and strength among AA members in this little forum alone who are willing to help you do that. If you don't want to get sober, that's okay too. The AA fellowship will still be around when you do want to get sober. In the meantime, if you want to keep drinking, go for it, but how about you postpone drinking after work until you get home and then hide your car keys or give them to your wife for safekeeping before you pick up that first drink of the day. If you can do that, that would really be "something".....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:26 pm

EZ is right. One wrong move while driving drunk can devastate many lives and in an irreparable way. You cant take back or apologize for vehicular homicide.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby DonaldDuck » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:

HI DD

Does your wife know you are drinking while driving with your children in the car? Does your wife object?

Hi.

You misunderstood me. I NEVER drink and drive!

I had a small drink, but that was once I had picked my son up, and arrived home, NOT before!
DonaldDuck
Forums Enthusiast

Postby DonaldDuck » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:19 pm

Lali wrote:I asked before in another post and don't believe that you answered. It's not so much the ability to moderate = although a real alcoholic cannot moderate - maybe once I a while, but never consistently for a period of time. My question was "How do you feel on your dry days?" Do you feel restless, irritable and discontent" or can you do other things on dry days without a thought of alcohol? It's all about how you FEEL when not drinking that tells one whether or not they are alcoholic.

Sorry for not answering Lali.

I don't feel restless, irritable or discontent if I don't have alcohol. I just like a drink and the feeling it gives me.

It's not as if I have a high pressured job, or am unhappy with any part of my life, because i'm not. I have a loving wife and two lovely children.

And when I drink I don't get legless, just merry.

I don't go missing from home for days either. I also don't and won't drink at work.
DonaldDuck
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:21 am

I don't feel restless, irritable or discontent if I don't have alcohol. I just like a drink and the feeling it gives me.

It's not as if I have a high pressured job, or am unhappy with any part of my life, because i'm not. I have a loving wife and two lovely children.

And when I drink I don't get legless, just merry.

I don't go missing from home for days either. I also don't and won't drink at work.

Why are then here my friend? Drinking a drink or two consistently is not going to hurt your liver. If that is your concern. If it gets out of control before and after. Before, I mean, you are obsessing about it. Like "When I am going to get out of the office and have a drink". Are planning where you gonna be, if there is going to be booze available.......Then its a problem.

BTW, the restlessness and irritability is not the only symptom, it could be boredom anxiety and other maladies. For some it could be subtle. But for some its just raging. And it may not show up in a day or two. We see that all the time in AA rooms. We ask the new comers to go to more meetings and they do and they are gone. Because they have not attended to their internal un-manageability. Only you can know whats going on inside. We can't tell.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PuppyEars » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:40 am

I know this might make a few here cringe, but let's not rule out that you might not be alcoholic. The fellowship will welcome you sure. But things that aa tells a real alcoholic to do for recovery just might not apply to you.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby Lali » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:49 am

Donald, you stated in one post:

"I just drink almost every night, mainly on my way home from work."
Emphasis mine.

Then later, in another post:

DonaldDuck wrote:You misunderstood me. I NEVER drink and drive!

I don't post this to embarrass you, but for an alcoholic (if you are one) it's important to be honest with yourself.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:59 am

i think buddy is from London. they rely on metro unlike here.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:31 am

avaneesh912 wrote:i think buddy is from London. they rely on metro unlike here.

Oh, then I owe him an apology. I hope I was wrong. Sorry, guy.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

PreviousNext

Return to For the Newcomer