Can I go back

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Can I go back

Postby DonaldDuck » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:56 am

to how it used to be?

I've never had a drinking problem, but I do now.

I was always happy with 3 pints on a Saturday night, that was it. The only other time i'd drink was if we had a party, wedding, friends get together etc.

I have been drinking at least 5, sometimes 6 or 7 nights a week for a while now.

If i'm determined, can I go back to 1 night a week only?

Or is it a case of all or nothing?

TIA
DonaldDuck
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Can I go back

Postby ann2 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:15 am

Hi! Give it a try, see if it works :) You could have come to your senses before turning the corner to being alcoholic. Experience will give you your answer.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby DonaldDuck » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:25 am

Hi Anne.

Thanks for your reply. What exactly defines an alcoholic please?

I know I have a problem, but would like to think i'm not an alcoholic.

Various members of my family have had drinking problems over the years though. Some have beaten it, others haven't....
DonaldDuck
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:45 am

Hi!

Basically if a person can not control his drinking, that's alcoholism.

If you can go back to your previous habit, you probably aren't alcoholic. If you can't, there's help available in AA to stop completely. An alcoholic has a physical reaction to alcoholic which generates craving for more. That's why we stop completely -- we will always have that sensitivity.

There's also the mental obsession which provokes us to drink even after removing the alcohol via detox. It's the mental obsession, the part of alcoholism that is in our minds, that AA treats. The help is there, and it works :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby DonaldDuck » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:10 am

Many thanks for your detailed reply Anne.

I will give it a go this week and hopefully defeat it!!! :D
DonaldDuck
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:23 am

An Alcoholic cannot keep away from the first drink. His/her mind always trick him into taking that first drink. And what you are experiencing happens. He/she cannot control the amount of liquor he/she consumes.

In forced sobriety, they are restless, irritable and discontented like the doctors opinion says.

The authors of the big book illustrate this by using 4 stories, if you get a chance the read the chapter "More about alcoholism" in the book Alcoholics Anonymous.

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

They also distinguish between 3 drinkers a normal one, a heavy drinker and a real-alcoholic in the chapter "There is a solution".

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

These 2 chapters should you a good illustration of what alcoholism is and the solution to get out of that malady.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 am

An Alcoholic cannot keep away from the first drink. His/her mind always trick him into taking that first drink. And what you are experiencing happens. He/she cannot control the amount of liquor he/she consumes.

Somewhat, The way I have heard it best put for me was. It doesn't matter How Much, How Often, How Long or What we Drink. What defines an Alcoholic from a Normal or Heavy Drinker is.

Once an Alcoholic, starts to drink, they don't control; the drink, the drink controls them. Meaning once started, the end is unknown. And If when we drink, we get into trouble. Financially, Family, Work, Missed Appointments, Jobs, Remorse, Fears and so on.

There are many stories of those who could stop or moderate their drinking for many reasons, only to start and be just as bad or worse after those goals have been met.

There is a Solution and More about Alcoholism, hold some very good points of what to watch for.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:51 am

Once an Alcoholic, starts to drink, they don't control; the drink, the drink controls them.

Thats where the whole problem is. You think that problem is after we take that first drink. Actually most in fellowship think thats the problem. Which is just a minute problem. You are missing out on the spiritual malady part and the mental twist part of the disease.

But the alcoholics state of mind, is such that, will trick him into taking that first drink.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:24 am

Read the paragraph that leads into the accountant story:

But the actual or potential alcoholic, with hardly any exception, will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge. This is a point we wish to emphasize and re-emphasize, to smash home upon our alcoholic readers as it has been revealed to us out of bitter experience. Let us take another illustration.

And later read the part how Jeff realizes the "blank spot" he runs into on a beautiful day "Not a cloud on the horizon" the book says.

I now remembered what my alcoholic friends had told me, how they prophesied that if I had an alcoholic mind, the time and place would come I would drink again. They had said that though I did raise a defense, it would one day give way before some trivial reason for having a drink. Well, just that did happen and more, for what I had learned of alcoholism did not occur to me at all. I knew from that moment that I had an alcoholic mind. I saw that will power and self- knowledge would not help in those strange mental blank spots.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:41 am

Hello Donald Duck, welcome to E-AA. I don’t know about anyone else but there is a line in our book the hit me hard.

“The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker”

I couldn’t do both at the same time
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby PuppyEars » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:08 am

What exactly defines an alcoholic please?

Pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 am

Pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.
"The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker”
The knowledge of the physical craving.......

He might know all this. But he forgets all this at the crucial time just prior to taking that first drink.

Take the car salesman story for instance. He knows about alcoholism. He knows about the obsession and physical craving and he knows he is going to the dog house. Yet at the restaurant he can't bring into consciousness with sufficient force the memory of all the impending calamities and falls to the victim that he can handle whiskey with milk on a full stomach.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PuppyEars » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:24 pm

He might know all this. But he forgets all this at the crucial time just prior to taking that first drink.

Then we let him keep digging to find out if all he knows about it becomes a reality.

I'm not sure what drove you to drink ave, but there was no mental twist just before my first drinks. I never drank on a whim while mixing milk or crossing a threshold. Full throttle 20 year path of destruction. Near the end I drank in hopes of dying. If I was lucky I would suffocate on puke...just please, anything besides waking up.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:39 pm

I agree. Thats the experience for some drinkers. But most of us would have attempted some form of moderation in the first place the moment we realize we have an issue. And then we realize that we can't moderate either (because of the craving). Then comes the phase where we attempt staying stopped using our own will power. Those are the people who could relate to the peculiar mental twist. Not so with other drinkers.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:26 pm

See this? This gentleman has reached a point that he cant moderate. But he still thinks he can do it on his own. "I really do think I can turn it around". Brother doesn't realize that he has a warped mind. You tell him there is this fellowship called AA, he is going to immediately say he is not a religious person or he would come up with some excuse. No alcoholic is going to take help immediately.

Multiple failures have shaken my confidence. My kids are telling me to stop. My wife is at her wits end. I am gaining weight. I can't have fun without drinking. I drink when I am feeling good and when I am feeling down. How can such a rediculous substance have such a hold on me?

That said, I really do think I can turn it around. I am lucky to have a great family (but a family that drinks), some pretty solid friends (although I have let some slide), and a good job. I have much to be thankful for and it would be a real shame to let alcohol continue to take away things I hold dear. What a mess!!
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to For the Newcomer