New user here

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

New user here

Postby ah68000 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:09 am

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum because I've been drinking pretty excessively since I graduated from college four years ago. I thankfully haven't gotten a DUI or gotten myself killed yet but I'm beginning to really feel the toll it's taking on my health. I used to tell myself all kinds of excuses to make myself feel okay about my habit, but I literally can't feel okay about it anymore. I've wanted to quit really badly but the temptation always wins over after a day or two of not drinking. As soon as I don't feel bad anymore, the desire comes back. I know I need to quit entirely but I haven't sought out support until now. Once I actually had a panic attack about how bad I was feeling one day and went to an ER. The doctor kind of downplayed everything which wasn't helpful. He prescribed me some kind of medicine that's supposed to reduce the drive to drink but I never filled the prescription.

Anyway, I want to make a positive change because it's dragging down everything else in my life. I'm 26 and I don't want this to be the way I live (or die). Unfortunately, I work in the hospitality industry where the temptation is always around. That being said, I know a couple people who are bartenders and are completely sober!

Any advice you could offer on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
ah68000
Forums Newcomer

Re: New user here

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:14 am

Welcome ah,

This is AA, the last house on the block for most of us who couldn't stop drinking on our own. The program of AA is in this book:
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

You can read it to find out if you are an alcoholic.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Welcome to e-AA ah.

Here is a link to 12 questions that new people interested in AA often gauge their problem by -
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

Also the book you got the other link to, while it is our main text it was written eighty years ago, and in a style that may be hard to follow. You would do well to look at chapters like 'The Doctors Opinion, More About Alcoholism and How It Works.'

Meetings are held in every town and city, if you Google AA meetings followed by your city, you should get a good range to choose from. Nothing to fear in these meetings, just some friendly folks drinking coffee and talking about the solution. You can't go wrong in trying a few meetings, each is a bit different and you will find one you feel most comfortable in, ask any other questions here that may come up, and best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi ah68000 and welcome.

Glad you made the decision to reach out for help with your drinking problem.

AA has a pamphlet entitled "This is AA - An introduction to the AA recovery program" which will help answer your questions about how the program works. Most AA meetings have this pamphlet on their literature shelf or you can read it online by clicking on this link:

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-1_thisisaa1.pdf.

Here's an excerpt from the pamphlet on AA's 24 hour plan:

"For example, we take no pledges, we don’t say that we will “never” drink again. Instead, we try to follow what we in A.A. call the “24-hour plan.” We concentrate on keeping sober just the current twenty-four hours. We simply try to get through one day at a time without a drink. If we feel the urge for a drink, we neither yield nor resist. We merely put off taking that particular drink until tomorrow…."

I was just a couple of years older than you when I first sought help for my drinking problem. I struggled with trying to stay away from that first drink for almost two years after my first AA meeting and failed every time. When my liver began to fail and several doctors told me that I had to get sober or die, I still didn't think I could stay sober. I finally discovered AA's 24 hour plan and that, as well as going to lots and lots of AA meetings in my first 3 months of sobriety gave me the hope and support I needed to believe that I too could experience the miracle of sobriety, one day at a time. Another thing that really helped me was attending young peoples AA meetings. I found a new one in my area that had just started up, loved it, and made that meeting my home group. If you're ready to go to an AA meeting, call your local AA helpline and they will help you find a meeting near you. Glad you found this forum.

Keep coming back.... :)

Keep coming back….
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby serendipity » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:22 pm

Welcome!!!

I'm new to the program myself and ended up here after hitting bedrock (bottom). I was emotionally bankrupt, financially spent and just an all around mess. I have to say the only way I've been able to stay sober is to keep going to AA meetings. I'm so new to recovery, that I don't have a lot of wisdom of experience, but I can definitely tell you that the people around here are a wealth of information about AA.

Keep coming back!!
serendipity
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer