Scared to Share

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Scared to Share

Postby LisaB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:24 am

Hi there

Sharing - depends on what type of meeting you go too, some are BB reading / study where BB is discussed.
Has I call it the chair & share - where we listen to the chair & then have open share where we speak about what we can relate to or what happening to us now. And then there the chair meeting where there now sharing at all.
I suggest try a few different ones out & see what suits you best, but I also suggest that at least one should be a BB study or a 12&12.
Share when it's right for you there no rules on sharing its your choice, but again I suggest that you do share has it really helps

Lisa B - alcoholic :D
LisaB
Forums Newcomer

Postby Irish777 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:59 am

Thanks for the info everyone.

Irish
Irish777
Forums Newcomer

Postby Lali » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:38 am

Hi, Irish. Now that we have told you a little about what to expect in a meeting, are you ready to go to one? You should be able to find Alcoholics Anonymous in your local phone book. If you call that number, someone will give you information as to where to find meetings in your area. Another way to find meetings in your area is to type "Alcoholics Anonymous" in your browser, followed by the city and state you live in.

Why not give AA a try and come back and tell us how your first meeting went, okay?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Irish777 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:52 pm

Lali,

Thanks for the invite and suggestion to go to AA. Currently I like drinking my 12 pack a day too much to quit. Some might say I suppose in AA lingo I haven't hit 'rock bottom.' The real issue I struggle with is I feel I am starting to look like a drunk with a red face and slight stomach bulge like a beer gut. I live with a roommate who could care less what I drink so no one is hassling me and my kids are in college and grown. I also hate spending so much money on booze. It is such a waste and what I hate most of all is going to the liquor store every day to get my stash as they know exactly what I drink. I am a boring drunk.

I'm looking forward to a day when I have some motivation to quit drinking. I have some mental health issues with severe depression so I am kind of a hermit. Outside of some family events where no one drinks I really don't go anywhere much.

Irish
Irish777
Forums Newcomer

Postby PuppyEars » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:09 pm

Irish777 wrote:Thanks for the invite and suggestion to go to AA. Currently I like drinking my 12 pack a day too much to quit.

Rock on bud. aa will be here should you ever need it.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby Chatillon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:48 am

I have been to four meetings so far. At the first one I didn't say anything, but after the meeting I did introduce myself to the lady who was acting as leader. She then invited me to have coffee with a few of the people who had been at the meeting. That was great as I found it much easier to talk then.

At a smaller meeting I think I could share but at a larger one there is just no way I could. Also I am dyslexic so reading is out loud in public is just out of the question.
Chatillon
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer