Slogans.

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Slogans.

Postby Feeya » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:46 am

Hi my name is Feeya, I am an alcoholic.
I have been sober for ten days today and even though that seems like a lot to me, there is a lot of progress to be made and at this stage of sobriety a lot of things I hear in sharings still don't make a lot of sense to me, or get me confused.
I try to keep it simple for now and what is helping me are the AA slogans. So here are my favorites:

Easy does it but do it
Progress, not Perfection
One day at a time
Only for today I will not be in charge
Bring your body to a meeting and your mind will follow
Keep it simple
First things first
It works if you work it

Thank you!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Re: Slogans.

Postby PaigeB » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 am

I was trying to think if there was any AA approved literature on it and all my brain can come up with right now is that the aaGrapevine Dot Org had an issue around them... You can probably find that (and a lot more) if you look there!

First things first... :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi Feeya

Congratulations on 10 days of sobriety! Way to go, Feeya!

I love AA's slogans and the ones you've listed are some of my favorites too. To me, each AA slogan is a proverb/parable in shorthand. Easy to remember and understand and so handy to apply when I get off balance and need to hit the "pause button" anytime or anywhere for an attitude adjustment. Thanks for posting this topic.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby tyg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:28 am

When I first got to AA, I knew I was an alcoholic and wanted to do something about my drinking problem. However, my brain somehow had me convinced I was unique and didn't need to do the program (12 Steps). I had a sponsor, was in service, had a home group and went to a lot of meetings. I could look at the list of Steps on the wall and thought that that they were working in my life. I believed there was no way I would drink again. I remember feeling validated to keep on as I was when I heard slogans like:
Easy Does it
Just don't drink
Keep it Simple
Meeting Makers Make it
Progress not Perfection
One Day at a Time
Easy does it
Think, Think, Think
Just put the plug in the jug

There are probably more to add to that but I don't remember them right now. Anywho, alcoholism sure is, cunning, baffling, and powerful! Pure insanity these strange mental twists in my thinking and what my mind will cling onto to affirm my actions. I believed I had recovered without doing any of the work. Of course I relapsed after several dry years and that woke me up. Then became determined to follow directions exactly how it is outlined in the Big Book.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby Feeya » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you guys for sharing!
Obviously just relying on some slogans does not do the work. Working the steps is absolutely necessary! But in moments of fear and confusion I find it very helpful to go through those slogans and remind myself of the program I am doing!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:25 am

Think, Think, Think

when I just walked into the rooms we weren't allowed to speak at all. We were told we were unable to think, look where our thinking brought us and we had nothing to give. So shut up and listen. This lasted for 6 months until I eventually got such terrible headaches, decisions was being made under " group conscience " but excluding the group and the conscience so I left and started going to other groups where I could actually talk and share. The first time I spoke I was so emotional I burst out crying. It was like letting steam from a pressure cooker :D During that 6 month period when I wasn't allowed to think I used to look at this particular sign and wonder why it was up? Surely it was in direct contraction to what was being practised :lol: Anyways, I learned a lot in that 6 month period but honestly feel 3 months is sufficient to shut up and listen :lol: If we just take in without having an opportunity to get rid of the rubbish already there we will end up with brain overload and .... pop! .... one alcoholic splashed all over :lol:

Thanks for the post. Its good to have it all in one place. Have an awesome evening and chat again soon.

mwah xxx
noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Feeya » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:19 am

Noels wrote:[b]If we just take in without having an opportunity to get rid of the rubbish already there we will end up with brain overload and .... pop! .... one alcoholic splashed all over :lol:

That is probably why I am encouraged to share what ever is on my mind! My Homegroup make very sure I am comfortable to get everything off my chest and I have realised for me, that once I talked some of the rubbish over, I am able to look at it in a very different way. It seems like I am only able to reflect on my thinking once it is shared with the group or my sponsor...
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Return to For the Newcomer