Weaning off alcohol - advice re: dosage

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Weaning off alcohol - advice re: dosage

Postby Layne » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:04 am

anon951 wrote: There is no greater power than me. If there is one - it should have kept me from alcohol in the first place,

That line of thinking doesn't much sway me one way or the other much because I figure that if I were created by a power greater than myself, that power would want me to have free will, otherwise why create me in the first place when a robot would do just as well, if not better?... I don't believe in God, I don't not believe in God, I just know that I am not the most powerful force in the cosmos.

If I were to have a higher power that only did things as I see fit, it wouldn't be a higher power at all, merely a creation of my mind.

I can't help you out with the reduced dosage wean off question, because even though I tried that route through numerous methods and guises in multiple episodes, it never gelled into a numerical pattern that I could equate successfully.

I wish you all the best with the weaning off process and hope it goes much smoother for you than it did for me. Also please do check back in to update us with your journey. Knowledge shared is a cornerstone for potential growth, dependent upon the willingness of the participants. :~)
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:02 am

anon951 wrote:Thank you for the advice. I will still try to stick to my original plan of weaning off, even if it fails - this is something I need to try myself first.
I've had my dosage of 9 units (UK units for reference), now waiting to see how it will go tomorrow - if no signs of withdrawal then I shall try 7.2 units. If that works well then next step will be 4.5 units, then 2.7 and so on. I'll have to see how I feel over the course of next week or so, if it all works out then hopefully I'll be in a position to not feel withdrawal within 3 weeks. Once that goal is reached, I can concentrate on complete abstinence and see where it takes me.

In case I stop posting here, I am creating a reminder to come back in exactly one year from now and make an update on my progress and experience, regardless of the results.

I have read HAMS in the past and I do think that lowering my consumption gradually is important, there is simply no way to go cold turkey as I see it right now. I do like the 12 step program, and I will follow it, however I take an issue with step 2. There is no greater power than me. If there is one - it should have kept me from alcohol in the first place, but it didn't - because it is not greater in any way, it doesn't exist. Instead I will replace it with "I am the greater power, and it is only up to me. If I can't control myself then frankly I'm weak. But it doesn't mean that I will stay weak, as a result of clear choices and self-motivation I will push myself to improvement and ultimately - abstinence". Something like that.

Another part of me immediately says that this is just me trying to justify not going cold-turkey. We will see after a while.

Then by that same rationale, if you are the "greater power", you should have kept yourself from alcohol in the first place!!

Wishing you well
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:41 am

Hi Anon. I have a disease. None of that god's will discussion for me. I need treatment for my disease.

You see, I cannot control AND enjoy my drinking. When I try to control it it is no fun, bordering on painful. When I try to enjoy I go off the rails... sometimes nothing happens and sometimes I end up in another city without my car or a clue how I got there ~ I sorta lose my instinctive safety protocols.

Quitting entirely was my only choice - I had tried tapering off and maintaining, but invariably I ended up ramping up to 10x again and, you guessed it... off the rails. I went cold turkey on my own, but let my doctor know what I was doing, without telling her exactly how much I was drinking daily. She may have overreacted, LOL but serious. I thought about going to alcohol detox and or a 30 day treatment center or whatever, but I knew that if I wanted any type of long term solution to this disease, I needed AA.

BUT AA had this "Higher Power" thing that I was not willing to succumb to - even told my family that if I went all religious on them, they were to have me institutionalized until I returned to my good senses! Here's the thing though, since I truly believe that there is no "god" but still = these people ARE staying sober & sane ~ I wanted to know what it was that they were DOING besides praying that helped them get that way! Since all the other options like medication and treatment did not suit me, I thought I would go try abstinence using the AA program (sans the god thing) and see what happened.

I am here to tell you that I am still a firm atheist and I have not found it necessary to take a drink in over 6 years... It'll be 7 years on August 1st of this year. I DID work the 12 Steps of AA with a very patient and understanding sponsor who did not try to change my mind about a Higher Power and was happy to let me use the AA Group or Group Of Drunks as my HP - I was able to allow that I just needed some Good Orderly Direction. It has worked. I am still sponsored and I sponsor others, one of whom has about 3 years and she is a good Catholic gal!

So if you find you cannot control AND enjoy your drinking. Give AA a chance. It worked for me.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:55 am

Hello anon. My name is Robert and I a Los Angeles area alcoholic. I got sober with my wife. For reason I didn’t have the same withdrawn symptoms as she did even though we drank the same. She had to go into a detox and I only had a bad case of the shakes. You never can tell the reactions.
Since you refuse to sneak medical help, which I highly suggest you seek, at least don’t try detoxing alone. Have someone close that could help if you start having seizure. A grand mal seizure can kill and they are not that uncommon with alcohol withdrawn.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Patsy© » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi Anon,

If you are an alcoholic of my variety, then cutting down, cutting back or weaning off is simply not possible.

What We alcoholics have is a three fold illness......Mental, Physical , and Spiritual

Mental.....I had an obsession of the mind (a thought that overcomes all other thoughts) that insured that I would take the first drink.

Physical..Once I put one drink of alcohol into my body, it set up a physical compulsion for MORE, and I would continue to drink against my will, until I was drunk, sick and out of control again.

Spiritual..... I was brought up with pretty good values, that I had been taught from a very early age. When I crossed that invisible line into alcoholism I just kept moving my own values down, thinking things, saying things, and doing things that I never ever thought I was capable of, until my own value system became unrecognizable even to myself, and I would do whatever I needed to do.....just to get a drink, because I had lost the ability to choose to NOT drink...

I could not predict with any certainty, on any given occasion, how much I would drink or what would happen to me after I took the first drink. I could not take one drink of alcohol in safety. I had lost the ability to choose to NOT drink.
For this alkie ....that's alcoholism!

Please make an appointment with your doctor because looking for medical advice online, is dangerous!
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Patsy© » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:37 pm

There is no greater power than me. If there is one - it should have kept me from alcohol in the first place

There is man's will and there is God's Will. God gave man free will.... drinking, was my will..... coming to AA, I believe was God's Will. And as long as I align my will with His Will.... things go really well :)

Best of Luck....when your luck runs out, and it will, call Alcoholics Anonymous....they have a solution that works!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby anon951 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:08 pm

Best of Luck....when your luck runs out, and it will, call Alcoholics Anonymous....they have a solution that works!

I will no stop until I succeed. My future success in quitting lies within my self-motivation, not in luck. The reason why I ended up being an alcoholic is simply because I had not made a choice to be alcohol free and didn't admit that I need help. I need to help myself. I made that decision, and even though you might not believe it - reaching this point was the hardest part. I will prove you wrong in due time.

Hello everyone, I would like to address some points and give a bit more info about my relationship with higher power, or lack of it, it is not that clear cut. I was born and raised in a highly religious family, attended religious studies and took place in a lot of church activities. I do no believe that God exists as he is envisioned in the Bible (or any other mainstream religious philosophy), I just can't subscribe to some of the ideas behind it. That being said, I have felt the positive influences of religion in my life. And I do believe in a type of God, sort of, just not the same God as others.

When I said that I am the higher power, I did not mean to arrogantly state that I refuse God. I simply disagree with Him. God to me is a bit like a loving father, who you sometimes don't listen to because his idea doesn't make sense. Fathers can also be wrong. Let me quote the rapper K-Rino:

"And churches, mosques and synagogues are nothing but buildings
You are the true house of God let it be known
So do you he think he wants to live inside an unclean home?
Heaven or hell only one can dwell your actions of proof"

So you see, this higher power (be it me, or God, or whatever) will only truly be on your side if you act on it. If you want it - go and take it yourself. This is why I put so much emphasis on doing it on my own - this is a test, and if passed, prizes of untold values await me. If I fail, then I will need to reconsider my methods. I truly believe that ANYONE has the power to do ANYTHING. I have seen friends go from being broke and nearly homeless, with addictions worse than mine, to literally owning 3 houses and running their own successful business in less than 20 years. I have at least 30 good years of solid hard work in front of me, I do have a good career and health (despite the addictions, yes I have been truly blessed with genetics). I WILL NOT be that guy with a breathing tank and in a wheelchair when I am 50, which is why it is so important to ACT RIGHT NOW.

This did work for me when I quit synthetic cannabis, regular cannabis as well as a 10+ years of tobacco addiction. Like I said, I will make a complete change for the better. Be it with my own method, AA, detox or whatever, I will make it.

I shall attempt to provide regular updates, first during the first few days, then weekly and monthly etc.

Yesterday I had about 70% of my standard dose. Some shakes have set in today during the day but it was manageable, I could work with this. Today I am consuming just over 60% of my regular dose. If the results are the same, I will try 50% tomorrow and so on. The goal is to eventually reach 30% within 2 weeks. At the moment I am inclined that this is a more than achievable target, of course I will have to wait and see.

Please keep posting guys, I read every single one of your words and it means a lot to me. Thank you for being here, and even though I do not agree with some of the ideas I understand your point of view and respect your reasoning behind it. Personally I think that everyone is different and what is right for some isn't always right for others.
anon951
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Your ideas of God fit well with many of us.
How about your own higher consciousness? Let it help you.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:11 pm

I will not stop until I succeed.

I am not sure you understand, I doubt anyone here thinks you will not succeed in stopping drinking, I would bet that you will succeed. Just that I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, I expect your life won't be very enjoyable. I told you in my first post about stopping for a year, I was offered a contract in a highly sensitive chemical plant, more money than I have ever made and a fine company car, I knew if I drank I would screw it up, so I didn't. One year in I walked away, no amount of money can compensate for a life where we feel restless and irritable all the time. AA showed me I could remain dry and not even have a thought about drinking, while being happier than I have ever been. And what Spirit Flower said I agree with, most of us don't think of a traditional religious type God, or heaven and hell, best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Your ideas of God fit me beautifully. Its the God of our own understanding, and I am not religious at all. Although I went to Catholic Church and Catholic school for many years, it was in AA that I found a Higher Power, that I choose to call God, the God of my own understanding. I am wondering if you have read the Big Book at all?

On page 46 it says the following:

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with Him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps. We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us, the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men.
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby anon951 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:18 pm

I have to admit that I am only about 15 pages into so far. There's a lot on my plate in terms of work right now so I only read small snippets, I don't want it to sounds like an excuse. But I don't view it as a bad thing, it does allow me to ponder over things instead of just taking in a lot of information and not having the time to really reflect on it and apply in my daily life. If I can invest the same amount of effort into it as I do into drinking, then I can potentially replace my time wasted drinking with time spent improving myself.

BY the way, to address a point made by another member previously - I do have a person close to me who knows about my situation and supports me. Since I became drug-free out relationship has improved massively (and it was good already), no, let me rephrase - it didn't improve (that implies it was bad), is simply got better than it already was. No doubt overcoming alcohol addiction will create even more benefits...she never had addiction problems ever yer she understand and support me, she deserves a better me :idea:
anon951
Forums Enthusiast

Postby anon951 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:22 pm

This is another book I am studying at the moment: brainybetty (Moderator edit... this board does not allow unapproved links)

It is not about alcohol addiction, but it can be easily applied to anything to do with overcoming challenges that require willpower.
anon951
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Irish777 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Anon,

I appreciate you posting on your journey to wean off the alcohol slowly. As I said it worked for me well. I never had withdrawal symptoms at all but I did a bit slower taper. I hope it works for you and you move forward in an alcohol free life.

I just shared my story to share with others if you do taper down, and go back to alcohol, there are options like AA and a great site like this one to support you on your way to a life of sobriety. I appreciate that people are supportive of your efforts here and hope for you the same, a life of sobriety.

As for me, I am a slow learner. The two days I was sober I felt better than I had for years. Then life set in of course and I went back to old habits.
But as the ole saying goes, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

Thus you have inspired me to do the same; to try the taper down again and give it a go at sobriety. If I fail again I will go to AA for I feel like you I will try myself but I won't be entrapped in this forever.

Hope it goes well and thanks to the posters on this site. I have lurked for two years without drinking more thank God than my 12 pack a day ( JUST that, oh how pathetic) but without this site I would be far worse off than that. I could drink twice that amount I'm sure.

Irish.
Irish777
Forums Newcomer

Postby anon951 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Very happy to hear that you feel that I was an inspiration to you. Let's take the time to post updates from time to time here regarding our progress, I feel we could motivate each other. All the best.
I tried 60% thing now, feeling fine but obviously too early to tell as it has only been a few hours. I'll come back tomorrow to post an update on how it was and what my next, hopefully smaller dose is.
anon951
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Feeya » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Irish777 wrote:Anon,

I appreciate you posting on your journey to wean off the alcohol slowly. As I said it worked for me well. I never had withdrawal symptoms at all but I did a bit slower taper. I hope it works for you and you move forward in an alcohol free life.

I just shared my story to share with others if you do taper down, and go back to alcohol, there are options like AA and a great site like this one to support you on your way to a life of sobriety. I appreciate that people are supportive of your efforts here and hope for you the same, a life of sobriety.

As for me, I am a slow learner. The two days I was sober I felt better than I had for years. Then life set in of course and I went back to old habits.
But as the ole saying goes, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

Thus you have inspired me to do the same; to try the taper down again and give it a go at sobriety. If I fail again I will go to AA for I feel like you I will try myself but I won't be entrapped in this forever.

Hope it goes well and thanks to the posters on this site. I have lurked for two years without drinking more thank God than my 12 pack a day ( JUST that, oh how pathetic) but without this site I would be far worse off than that. I could drink twice that amount I'm sure.

Irish.

Hey Irish,
My name is Feeya, I am an alcoholic and I would love to see you post more often on this site!
If you should fail again, come back! Listen to what others tell you about their journey! I often see myself in other people's lifes and in other people's thinking...
I would have never thought that I would ever end up with AA, thought I was going to be able to do it on my own... today I have been sober for twelve days, only with the help of AA friends!
Keep lurking around and as I said, I would love to see your posts!
Anon: Good luck! If you ever want to quit, AA is going to be there!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to For the Newcomer