Social Anxiety

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Re: Social Anxiety

Postby PaigeB » Thu May 26, 2016 7:35 am

Here is today's Daily Reflection. It is conference approved literature and e-aa has a forum where we post it everyday. I thought it applied to your journey so I am posting it here for you.
TURNING NEGATIVE TO POSITIVE

Our spiritual and emotional growth in A.A. does not depend so deeply upon success as it does upon our failures and setbacks. If you will bear this in mind, I think that your slip will have the effect of kicking you upstairs, instead of down.
— AS BILL SEES IT, p. 184

In keeping with the pain and adversity which our founders encountered and overcame in establishing A.A., Bill W. sent us a clear message: a relapse can provide a positive experience toward abstinence and a lifetime of recovery. A relapse brings truth to what we hear repeatedly in meetings – "Don't take that first drink!" It reinforces the belief in the progressive nature of the disease, and it drives home the need for, and beauty of, humility in our spiritual program. Simple truths come in complicated ways to me when I become ego driven.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Deskdad » Thu May 26, 2016 9:27 am

Same here. Sober, I'm quiet, an introvert, shy - very anxious socially. Drinking? Mr. Personality. Charming, outgoing, a flirt - life of the party. And other times just an a**hole. I am realized to beat this, I have to re-wire. Find a way to deal with the anxiety another way. No more Jekyll and Hyde.
--------------------------------------------
"When I came to recovery, I realized that being a child for 43 years nearly killed me."
Deskdad
Forums Enthusiast

Postby wildyouth » Mon May 30, 2016 9:04 pm

I feel the exact same way. This entire month I've been attempting to quit drinking but once the weekend especially hits I get wasted. The biggest reason I'm wanting to quit is because my body basically rejects alcohol now. I wake up with hives all over me not being able to breathe and having palpitations. Spent the entire day in the ER. But yeah all of this comes back to social anxiety. Wish I could just be normal.
wildyouth
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Tue May 31, 2016 12:04 am

One of the 10th Step Promises is "We will react sanely and normally."

Keep coming back. DO the Steps - a sponsor can be instrumental in helping. My sponsor gave me a whole new perspective on things!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Chris, I'm glad you posted your problem of social anxiety here on e-AA.
I had it, still do have it a lot of the time. The thing is, I'm sober. I was able to get sober even though this is how I am.
Sobriety doesn't depend on being an extrovert. It depends on doing the 12 steps and developing a spiritual way of life. I went to meetings and sat in the back and just talked to a few of the people who reached out to me. It worked and has been working for nearly 42 years now.

All the best to you, friend.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby K225 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:51 pm

Wildyouth I have a similar problem. Not quite as bad as yours sounds, but alcohol sure doesn't sit the same way anymore. A few shots used to send me off to my "happy place", now it just turns my stomach and makes my heart race. The sodas I mix my liquor with don't sit to well anymore either. Hangovers now are a whole different ballgame too. I can't see straight, I twitch and shake like a drug addict (I guess in a way I am one), no appetite, a good fatty meal doesn't cure it anymore and hair of the dog doesn't work so well anymore either. Sometimes I think I'm dying.
"When you're going through hell, keep going".-Winston Churchill
K225
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to For the Newcomer