Four Days Sober and Happy

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Four Days Sober and Happy

Postby stacylou » Fri May 13, 2016 10:13 am

Hi,

I'm Stacy and I'm an alcoholic with four days of sobriety. I got my 24 hour chip this past Monday (May 9, 2016). I was so excited! It took me attending four face to face meetings before I was able to even acknowledge that I was an alcoholic. Reading these forums helped, because I realized that I am what you call a "functional alcoholic" -- so I was in a lot of denial that I even had a problem.

I suffer from tension headaches when I'm under a lot of stress and/or anxiety, and getting sober has exacerbated the tension headaches to the point that they are almost debilitating. A lie I keep telling myself is that I can have one drink "just for medicinal purposes - not to get drunk," which is a total load of BS and I know it, but the thought does keep popping up. I've been increasing the amount of anti-anxiety meds and muscle relaxants I take to counteract the headaches and the resulting neck and shoulder aches, but I'm worried that I will just be trading one addiction for another. Any input would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

I just got a sponsor yesterday and I look forward to working with her on the 12 steps and stuff. My fear, though, is that I will come off as too clingy or needy, so if anyone has any advice on how to balance that out, it would be appreciated. What is the right amount of contact and how much contact is too much?

Thanks for reading and happy sobriety to you all!

Sincerely,
Stacylou
stacylou
Forums Newcomer

Re: Four Days Sober and Happy

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Stacylou and welcome.

Congratulations on four days of sobriety!

Sorry about the headaches, Sobriety for an alcoholic is unavoidably a huge physical, mental, and emotional adjustment for our bodies and brains and that period of adjustment is generally rough during the first few days of total abstinence. It's a big shock to our systems but it generally doesn't last too long. It might be helpful for you to browse some of the recovery websites to find out some holistic ways to reduce your stress and treat your headaches, like herbal teas, diet, and some basic meditation expercises.

When I first got sober in AA I was totally clueless about what the program was about or what I should be doing on a daily basis and relied heavily on my sponsor for guidence and direction. I let her set the schedule in the beginning and her schedule was daily contact with her and the AA fellowship. I think the right amount of contact with your sponsor at this stage of your sobriety is as much as you feel you need. My experience is that balance comes naturally as I remained sober trudging the Road of Happy Destiny. Glad you this forum. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 am

Welcome Stacy :D
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:20 am

is that I will come off as too clingy or needy

Good sponsors will understand that. We are here to hook you up with your HP so you can live life depending on that instead of on fellow humans.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri May 13, 2016 11:28 am

Hi Stacy! Congrats on getting a surrender chip! We call it a white chip here as it is a white poker chip. I haven't had to get another one since August 1, 2009 and I am grateful to Alcoholics Anonymous for that!

My sponsor just told me to get to a lot of meeting and call her once a week. We did immediately set up a time for the following week to start working on reading the Big Book and working the Steps together on a weekly basis and the call was to be independent of that scheduled time. I called her more often than that but she also encouraged me to call other women in the program and pick a Home Group. That is a group I would commit to being at every week and doing some sort of service work at that meeting.

Here is the good news: You never have to go to your first meeting again!

Keep coming here too! I came here daily as a way to keep in touch with AA everyday. I drank everyday, so why not? I am disabled so I have the time most days and I always feel better, handle life better when I have had a positive nudge from this Forum!

As far as headaches... you might be dehydrated. Try drinking more water ~ something I never did while I was drinking beer all day! Who knows if I had a headache? I was always drinking, drunk or trying to figure out how to drink again! In sobriety I started to notice a lot as far as my body was concerned!

Here is my BEST advice: See a real doctor. We are not doctors and do not give medical opinions. Tell the doctor that you have recently become abstinent and tell them why. They may try to prescribe medications that will fool your mind or intoxicate you or get you addicted to something else. I do not think that muscle relaxants are addictive, but they can be over-used and one of the symptoms of overuse is... headaches! lmao. Like we thought drinking would help us, we also like to think we can also self prescribe! So see an doctor and talk to your sponsor about what the doctor says then DO WHAT THE DR. SAYS! Be sure he knows that sobriety must come FIRST... non-alcoholics, even doctors, do not understand this disease. Here is a pamphlet you can read and feel free to give the link to your doctor (maybe in advance of your appointment) or your local AA group or clubhouse might have a copy you can take with you to the appointment. http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-11_aam ... edDrug.pdf

SO Happy that you came to let us know of your progress! Keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Sat May 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Welcome, Stacy. Good to have you here!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer