it's my first day

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

it's my first day

Postby andy777 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:51 am

I am totally new here and it's my first day without a drink. I need help to succeed so I am going to post this now and see what happens. Andy777
andy777
Forums Newcomer

Re: it's my first day

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:54 am

Welcome to e-AA. You are in the right place. We have all gone through this phase. Please feel free to post your questions. We know little bit about alcoholism and we can point to the solution. You may get acquainted with the big book (aka Alcoholics Anonymous) at http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm. Also you may find local AA meetings where you live. And there are some great workshops free on-line, if you are interested, PM me.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Mon May 09, 2016 5:16 am

Heya Andy777 :D welcome and congratulations :D At this stage its just one day at a time my friend. Nothing more, nothing less. In the beginning if it got pretty bad I would even say to myself " I can drink tomorrow if I want to. I'm just not going to drink right now." Get some sweets, chocolates and dried peaches and pop those into your mouth by the hands full if you crave a drink. Also nice sweet tea. Try to stay away from coffee and caffeine for a while. Go to a meeting tonight and start reading the big book on the link Avaneesh gave in his reply.
It can be done and you are going to feel like a million dollars in a few weeks time but for right now remember .... its just for today.
Congratulations once again :D keep on posting.
Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby 4thDimension » Mon May 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi Andy,

and welcome.

We do this one day at a time. After working the steps, most of us feel the obsession to drink leaves and we don't worry about drinking.

My advice to anyone new:
-Go to local AA meetings and listen.
-Get a copy of the Big Book and find a sponsor to help you through the steps.
-Don't drink today.

That should get you going. Best wishes.
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Larryp713 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:55 am

Welcome and I am glad you are here. What recovered alcoholics told me on my first day is the best advice I can give to a newcomer:

Go to at least 90 meetings in those first 90 days, and just don't drink between meetings.
Get phone numbers and reach out to other recovered alcoholics every day.
Show up early and speak to other alcoholics. Get to know them and let them get to know you.
Find a person whose recover you respect and ask them to sponsor you.
Follow directions and keep working on the steps - let your sponsor know you are ready to work this program.

Its a tall task, but not complicated. When I finally did these things, the obsession to drink was lifted and I found a freedom I thought I would never have. I hope you find the same! Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby whipping post » Tue May 10, 2016 7:42 am

Hi Andy,

Welcome and congrats on your decision. You will find plenty of support here. That's vital in the early days. As others have said find some good meetings and work the steps. The steps are where the relief is so we don't have to white knuckle it anymore.

In those early days reading the Big Book and listening to speaker tapes really helped me get through.

It's not easy but it's worth it. Hang in there and keep posting.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:06 am

andy777 wrote:I am totally new here and it's my first day without a drink. I need help to succeed so I am going to post this now and see what happens. Andy777

Hi andy777 and welcome. Glad you found this forum.

Congratulations on your decision to put the plug in the jug and try sobriety. I also got to the place in my drinking where I needed to make that decision and it turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

AA has a pamphlet entitled "This is AA - An introduction to the AA recovery program" which will help answer some of your questions about how the program works. Most AA meetings have this pamphlet on their literature shelf or you can read it online by clicking on this link:

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-1_thisisaa1.pdf.

Here's an excerpt from the pamphlet which explains one of the ways we keep the plug in the jug after we make the decision to stop drinking. It's called AA's 24 hour plan:

"For example, we take no pledges, we don’t say that we will “never” drink again. Instead, we try to follow what we in A.A. call the “24-hour plan.” We concentrate on keeping sober just the current twenty-four hours. We simply try to get through one day at a time without a drink. If we feel the urge for a drink, we neither yield nor resist. We merely put off taking that particular drink until tomorrow…."

Keep coming back….
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer