Lost it

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Lost it

Postby Loopy » Sat May 07, 2016 2:45 am

Don't know why but just wanted to post this..I was sober for 10 years...Had a lot of personal issue come up and started drinking again about a year ago.I gave up again 2 months ago until a few days ago..thought I be fine to have a few beers,ended up on a 3 day bender and police were involved I basically have know idea what I've been doing.. it's sucks .I hate the stuff I hope I'm never that way again.
Loopy
Forums Newcomer

Re: Lost it

Postby Brock » Sat May 07, 2016 3:42 am

Welcome to e-AA Loopy. Thanks for posting what you did, it takes guts to get back up after falling and then tell others, and as you know telling people who will read this helps them remember that we are not cured of alcoholism.

From time to time we do get reports like this here, most often they say I stopped going to meetings, and lost my spiritual contact with my higher power. Personally I believe I can maintain my spiritual well being without meetings, but I still choose to go a couple of times a week. Someone sober ten years we can assume you did the steps, so I guess you know what is required now, it's my experience that meetings welcome these 'wounded soldiers' back with open arms. It's good news the last line you wrote - “I hate the stuff I hope I'm never that way again,” I wish you the best of luck at getting back to a life of sobriety and serenity.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:36 am

Had a lot of personal issue come up and started drinking again about a year ago

Welcome back. Glad you are here alive. Buddhist say if there is illusion there is no enlightenment. Be grateful you had that glimpse that this is not working anymore again. Many as the book says lead to death or insanity. What you experienced is very common in AA today. After we get back our lives, we tend to forget if we don't take care of the internal un-manageability we will be led to the blind spot the book talks about over and over again. Unfortunately we in meetings just talk about the amount of alcohol we drank, the dui we got.

Perhaps this experience will help you get willing and take a deep dive into the 12 steps AA. Please let us know of you have any questions about the program of AA. There are lot of experienced heads here who can help you have that spiritual awakening.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Loopy » Sat May 07, 2016 6:41 am

Thanks for the replies..just thought I should ad I didn't do a steps program I just stopped drinking.
Loopy
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sat May 07, 2016 7:09 am

I am nodding my head. Yes, life without the Steps did not work for me. The step are the solution. The Steps are were the recovery is. I continue to go to meetings a lot as it helps me remember I need to practice this program everyday.

Hang in there! Jump right in and keep swimming. The alternative is not pretty.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Loopy wrote:Thanks for the replies..just thought I should ad I didn't do a steps program I just stopped drinking.

Hi Loopy and welcome.

I was a chronic relapser in AA for the first two years. I just couldn't get "it" and didn't understand why. When I finally did get "it", got sober and went back to AA, I did the "90 in 90" thing and then dove into working the Steps by myself, using the fellowship's ESH and the BB plus 12&12 as my guides. I completed working all 12 Steps by about 6 months sober. I got drunk again a few weeks before my second AA birthday, but after coming to from what was a 3 or 4 day blackout binge, went right back to meetings and right back to working the Steps and living life one day at a time. That's what has worked for me ever since my last drunk which ended on Mother's Day of 1978. Glad you made it back, Loopy.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer