Can you find balance

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Can you find balance

Postby joker5893 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi,

So I decided to turn to the forums to get some advice/help. I'm an avid homebrewer/craft beer drinker and most of the time I have a beer here and there and no when to stop. However sometimes when presented with social drinking I tend to go off the deep end and lose control. My question is can someone find the right balance or is it best to just stop drinking all together.
joker5893
Forums Newcomer

Re: Can you find balance

Postby Brock » Mon May 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Hello Joker good question. From my own experience, and that of very many others, whose story I have read or heard at meetings, and also from our own literature, I would say you are not what AA considers an alcoholic. We don't qualify anyone however, that is up to the individual to decide, but one of basic problems with us is we can't have “a beer here and there.” When and if you ever find that you can't control your input, or you have to force yourself to, resulting in being irritable as hell, you know where to find help. Best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Mon May 02, 2016 8:06 pm

You can quickly diagnose yourself by reading the first 50 or so pages of our book Alcoholics Anonymous. In the Preface there is The Doctor's Opinion, you might want to read that too. http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/read-the- ... traditions

I know that whenever I took in ANY alcohol whatsoever my body wanted MORE. I had varying reactions to that need for MORE. I might drink out of control. I might drink a few and be irritable and go to bed. I might drink a few and sneak a few more. I might chose to not drink on a Tuesday, "just to slow down a bit", but be angry that this or that forced me to abstain or a day. One time or two, I had a week or a month without any... but I was unhappy and blamed everyone else for my problems.

So maybe you are and maybe you are not. Diagnosing and treating Alcoholism is an inside job.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Tue May 03, 2016 2:52 am

joker5893 wrote:Hi,

So I decided to turn to the forums to get some advice/help. I'm an avid homebrewer/craft beer drinker and most of the time I have a beer here and there and no when to stop. However sometimes when presented with social drinking I tend to go off the deep end and lose control. My question is can someone find the right balance or is it best to just stop drinking all together.

If you are like me then compulsive behavior is all I've got and it is a deadly thing to have. So how do I control this compulsive behavior? Well with drinking I let it go and I worked the steps of AA and I found that if I maintained my sobriety then some of my compulsive behavior would not land me in jail and this has been over 26 years. So if I overeat I get fat, but I can keep my job and have my life for example. But since I know I have this behavior I have to remain vigilant in order to keep things in my box as I call it. See staying sober is not like diets in which they are seasonal and or short lived and my sobriety is important and necessary in order to maintain a quality of life I desire.

So if I were to suggest something and this is one of those deals where you have nothing to lose except to try something different. Go to AA and find the similarities of your personality and then see if you are like me and the others who are totally powerless over alcohol.

Go to a meeting everyday for one hour for ninety days (7 days a week) and after 90 days if you are sure you aren't a drunk then rock on, but if you are like us then remember you aren't unique and or alone on this journey.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer